Epoxy, Reccomendations?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

falls

Post by falls »

sicomin SR8500 / SZ8525 - ski specific
Cheaper for me than West System, but had to be shipped (actually shipped on a real ship) from Europe to Australia and I had pretty much given up on it before it arrived 2 months later.
I have made only one pair with this epoxy and it is pretty good. Not much smell. I wet out on a summer night at maybe 25C, was pretty runny and glass wet out really well.
Pot life is over an hour I think. Good for me because layup seems to take me 40 minutes no matter what i do.
I've skied 7 days on the skis. pretty long days 6-8 hours cause that's what you do when its snowing hard and you only get 2 weeks to ski powder a year! Flex was good, no delams apart from some damage to the 3/4 wrapped tail from constantly jamming them in the gondola racks (I don't think this has anything to do with the epoxy).
Cured at 80C for 45 minutes. Ramp up to 80 over 30 minutes then soak for 45 then allow to cool. You can heat it to 90C and it is meant to cure in 20 minutes, but my hoses are only rated to 65C so I'm pushing things already!
The epoxy hardens without heat overnight too which is good for me because I wet out on the table covered in plastc so in the morning I just bundle it all up and throw away.
I don't doubt Sicomin is going to be more expensive than QCM + made in Europe. It is ski specific like QCM stuff and I'm happy with it. A lot are happy with the QCM and I think a simple system for keeping it warm during layup isn't that hard. I think richuk has made a setup where he has an old electric blanket or something rigged under his tabletop that keeps thes surface and anything under it warm during layup. I think kingswood skis may have something like this also. I think the heat cure sicomin is better than the west system I used originally.
End rambling perceptions
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

i'm using the same combo as falls. so +1 on all that he wrote ;)
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Seems like a good place to put this:

http://www.bolton.ac.uk/CODATE/SPGuidetoComposites.pdf

The heater I use within the press is used to heat the layup table (such as it is). Helps with wetting out of glass. I'm a bit concerns that this means that there is differing amounts of energy going into the glass. Not too worried just yet. Electric blanket wouldn't be a bad idea - anything to get the required result!
grace ski

Epoxy

Post by grace ski »

Check out MAS PRODUCTS.

http://www.masepoxies.com/Epoxy_School_ ... AQ.html##5

I just layed up a ski this afternoon with it...wets out great, no smell etc...
they have a low VOC and a bio solv that cleans up...

www.weskigrace.blogspot.com
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Move to San Diego. 70f all the time )
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
Roycheck99

Post by Roycheck99 »

So im doing a school project and have a epoxy question. I'm vacuum pressing my skis and planning on using QCM ECA 032 and EMV 0043. The problem I'm running into, to achieve better over all properties, they recommend up to 180 F to cure the epoxy. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to apply heat while using a vacuum press? I was originally thinking about heat straps or a electric blanket but maybe their is a better method out their.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

just build a box around your vacuum press and blow some hot air into it.
here's a good example for this type of heating: http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... er&start=0

i think hot air guns would work well too (maybe even hair dryers?!).
vinman

Post by vinman »

I'm considering moving to Entropy resins since QCM is running dry. how much mixed epoxy are you guys using with entropy? how many grams of mixed epoxy per ski or per pair are you using?

I'm trying to get a sense of how many pair I could build with a 5 gallon order. I'm going to see if they have any smaller CPM kits in stock still also.

Thanks for the help.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

5 pair per gallon for fat skis with entropy.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Right on MM that's what I needed to know
vinman

Post by vinman »

I just emailed Desi at Entropy Resins. He told me the only difference between the 100/1000 kit and the CPM kit is cure time. CPM cures in 15 min at 180 deg and the 100/1000 cures in 30 min. There may be some difference in viscosity also.

He also mentioned that the 100/1000 kit is somewhat safer for the hobby user and ships non-DG. Not sure what that last part is but I'm guessing it has something to do with the price of the shipping due to hazardous materials....???
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Has anyone here tried the araldite by huntsman? I heard this stuff was THE shit...can't remember who was using it.

http://www.huntsman.com/advanced_materi ... ageID=5873
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
erlabs

Super Sap CPM kits now available!

Post by erlabs »

After several weeks of requests from the SkiBuilders community about making CPM available in smaller kits, we are pleased to announce your requests were heard and we will once again be offering our CPM kits in smaller quantities. There have been a few changes made to the new system. Prior to discontinuing retail kits for our compression molding system, some of you had been using our 1100 Hardener. The new CPL Hardener replaces this system with the following adjustments…

1) Longer Pot Life – at regular room temp you will get up to an hr of working time
2) Faster Heat Accelerated Cures – 15 min at 180F
3) Low Odor – all the speed, less noxious fumes
4) Higher Modulus – resulting in stiffer composites
5) Lower Viscosity – for easier fiber wet out

Things that have not changed…offering a bomber, user friendly, eco friendly, bioderived epoxy system. Kits are available in 3qt, 1.5gal, and 3gal quantities and you can order directly from the link below…

http://entropyresins.com/products/super-sap-cpm

Still wondering if this is the right system for you…checkout these commercial products hitting stores this winter.

http://www.nichesnowboards.com/
http://www.voelkl.com/skis/touring/tour ... q-eco.html

Our CPM system is also good for any compression-molded part such as skateboards and kiteboards. If you are using vacuum molding with room temp cures checkout our line up of ambient cure systems (Super Sap 100/1000 and Super Sap CLR).

I apologize for the commercial nature of this post but I figured you guys would be happy to know this. As always, we love the support of this DIY community and hope it continues in the future.

Thanks!
Desi of Entropy Resins
Last edited by erlabs on Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Right on Desi! That is great news for us. Thanks
erlabs

Post by erlabs »

My pleasure, also for the next couple weeks we will be running a promo for you guys. 10% off all online orders. Just use the coupon code: SKIBUILDERS at checkout and you'll get the discount.

Thanks!