Epoxy, Reccomendations?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

OnDeck

Epoxy, Reccomendations?

Post by OnDeck »

Can anyone reccommend an epoxy brand and supplier? I've been using the stuff from Action Sports tech, which appears to be some closely kept secret. I've been reasonably happy with it but need to move on.

Looking for something with reasonably low viscosity. I'm pretty quick on lay-up but not superman, so a shorter potlife would be OK. Also, i need a supplier who can deliver qucikly (within a week or so).

Finally, I've seen the articel here from QCM. Any opinions on that advice?

Thanks!
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

Yes, a lot of builders here are very happy with QCM including myself. I go with the 49 resin and 408 hardener which has a 45 minute pot life. I never need that much time but it is always nice to know I have extra in case something goes awry.

I think it is rated at a low viscosity, not positive, but as long as I keep the resin at least 60 F it is super easy to work with. My glass wets out really well where I can visibly tell that it is fully wet.

The shipping was quick for me but of course you have to pay a lot for hazardous fees.
OnDeck

Post by OnDeck »

OK, good info. Thanks.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

The super sap is pretty much nontoxic cleans up easy and is a reclaimed/reused partial byproduct from industrial wood processing. It has a medium viscosity at 60f and a nice low to medium at 70-75f. It has very good mechanical properties and works well. Ships quick but will cost you more than qcm. I would prefer a lower viscosity but i dont wear a mask and cleans up with denatured alchohol.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

QCM for sure. I use the 032 hardener, ~30 min cure at 180 deg F.

http://www.qcminds.com/compression_molding.php
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

Eca 408 is like water... mix with any medium viscosity they recommend and the result is very spreadable and long pot life. Be warned it requiress 175 f heat for 45 min depending which epoxy you use. And yoou pay a 25 dollar hazmat charge and its very corrosive dont let it touuch any metal you value. And hold your breathh while pouring. Use a ladel. Theyy need to put this stuff in better durable plastic containers. Affter all this youll have tthe bestt epoxy made sorry iim onna damn drooid keys are studderin
Doug
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Yeah, I'm using the ECA032/EMV043 and so far, I'm very happy with the results. I think it was the 408 and something about needing a scuba suit that put me off. Was that the one?
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

Ive been using QCM all along and have ZERO complaints.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Brazen wrote:Yeah, I'm using the ECA032/EMV043 and so far, I'm very happy with the results.
I guess my only beef is the viscosity. I heat up my epoxy for a while before layup so its easier to mix in the hardener and wet out. It doesn't take much heat to go from molasses consistency to something workable though, so its not too bad.
OnDeck

Post by OnDeck »

twizzstyle wrote:
Brazen wrote:Yeah, I'm using the ECA032/EMV043 and so far, I'm very happy with the results.
I guess my only beef is the viscosity. I heat up my epoxy for a while before layup so its easier to mix in the hardener and wet out. It doesn't take much heat to go from molasses consistency to something workable though, so its not too bad.
Ditto, i've been leaving a space heater right up clsoe to the bcuket for 20-30 minutes before , then pour into a cup and stick under a heat lamp to keep it warm while i spend 10 minute struggling into my monkey suit, then finally i add a little pigment which seems to catalyse everything hotter and faster anyways.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Brazen wrote:Yeah, I'm using the ECA032/EMV043
Same here, stuff's like molasses.
I put mine in a 4L ldpe milk jug, which I put in a bucket of hot water when all the layup prep starts.
When I'm ready to start mixing I wipe the water off the jug and put it in a insulated cardboard box to keep it warm.
My basement is very cool, 10-12c this time of year, so the stuff starts to thicken up pretty fast when it comes out of the heat.
Need to work on a heating system for my basement before next winter!

I may try EMV-0045 next time.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
powderho

Post by powderho »

Brazen wrote:Yeah, I'm using the ECA032/EMV043
I think a lot of us on here are using this combination and the end results are great, but dang this stuff is thick and a pain to work with. My epoxy stays inside the house all winter. After I weigh it out I set it on a heat register until the moment I need it. It will become almost to thick to work with in only 5 minutes in my garage. I wet out all the glass first thing and let it soak in for as long as possible. A must with this combination. My layup time is right around 25 minutes in the winter and only 15 minutes in the summer. Big difference.

I have done one pair with a PTM&W epoxy that was way easier to work with. It wet out the glass almost instantly. It was expensive and toxic though.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

ECA408 / emv0043 combined is much more manageable i bet. It wets out like a marine epoxy. And the fumes from the 408 are gone once you mix. You just have to deal with handling and smell of the stuff that will knock you on your ass. I'm used to it, its no big deal. Even with the hazmat charge QCM is still the best bang for the buck, and I'd pay more for it, works better than stuff 2x the price. Just keep in mind any combo with 408 hardner will not cure unless you press 175-180 for at least 45min.

But i'd love to try what you guys are using for a comparison, might actually be tougher, but my boards currently have a-ma-zing pop with this stuff.
Doug
strangesnowboarding

Post by strangesnowboarding »

we just ran tests with 6 boards and 3 different resin systems.
west, QCM, entropy

overall i would like to continue using the entropy system, mixing is easy, wetout too, flash cuts faster, great flex characteristics and pop. sadly it is not all up to me so we will be waiting for our singleblind test results to come back from our riders before we make a decision on who to go with for bulk orders.

as far as the other two go, the QCM is def harder to work with at the start (weighing, not dripping everywhere, no easy pour containers, mixing) but had the quickest wet out (couple minutes in our 80degree cleanroom) and was the most clear of the three. also it is the cheapest and the guys there are ready to help formulate the correct system for your molding setup.

west is a good standby, industrial for sure, bonding is kick ass, and you can probably buy it at a store near you. however it has stiffer flex and is the most expensive.

hope this helps a little.
tom
Alex13

Post by Alex13 »

I'm using sicomin SR8100 and 8822 hardener. Low viscosity, super long pot life (hours). Easy to mix, wets out easily, I've used in the middle of winter at night in temps close to 0C and didn't need to heat it up. Hugely strong when bonded. Expensive though I think, I got it from uni for free but they use it to build the FSAE car chassis. Slightly yellow colour if that bothers you.

Sicomin do a dedicated ski/snowboard resin kit, I think falls has some, he might be able to review it.