Any good sources for vertically laminated bamboo???

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Sherpa Burns

Any good sources for vertically laminated bamboo???

Post by Sherpa Burns »

So I have been looking around trying to source sheets (4' x 8') of 1/2" vertically laminated bamboo for my core material. Having a hell of a time as everything is either thicker or cross ply.
Has anyone using bamboo come across a good supplier?
Thanks,
switzch

Post by switzch »

Dito - in canada been calling around for months with no luck. i may go with the wide plank calibamboo natural flooring but im not digging how it comes finished.
Skierguy

Post by Skierguy »

I have talked to a few suppliers and have found that the 1/2" vertically laminated bamboo sheets (4'x8') are not carried because they are so fragile and tend to split when not fully supported. A supplier may be willing to work with you if you order a unit of it.
That was one of my more spectacular Da Dunt, Da Dunts� Aaron McGovern �Focused
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I buy bamboo flooring boards from Bamboo Hardwoods in Seattle (although they are local to me, so no shipping to pay). They come in 6ft lengths and work great for ski cores.
Sherpa Burns

Post by Sherpa Burns »

twizz, do they have 1/2" thickness on those floorboards? I found a guy in OR that can bring in 30 sheets at a time of the 1/2" sheets from China, but I cant deal with that many. That would be at least 240 cores. May be worthwhile if we could do a group buy.
I also found a dude in China that will ship 300 planks that are 1/2" x 72" x 6" at 10.40/piece. Only gets to the nearest port (Seattle). That may also be an option if someone wanted to split these.
skibum

Post by skibum »

I get 48"X72"X14mm vertically laminated bamboo. Same as the guy you are talking about from OR. I deal with a flooring importer in Vancouver. He brought my first board in from OR but they were a bit expensive. Now he gets them straight from China for me when he brings a container in from China. Got 10 sheets waiting in Vancouver for me now. The 300 sheets is a great price for sure but obviously a large quantity and them there is the hassle of importing it yourself or paying someone. But for the price getting a few people in on it could make it worth while. Send me a PM if you want my contact in Vancouver. I just think it is prob better not to post it here so there isn't lots of people calling and asking for one board. I don't think it is terribly profitable for him and he is just kind of doing me a favor. Otherwise if there is group interest I could have him bring in a bunch more with his next container. I have been getting the carbonized bamboo but it also is available in natural. I believe it is also available in different thicknesses but 14mm seems to be the most useful for me. 4' wide get me 4 pairs of skis per board with a max width of 150mm (with no sidewalls). I am going to experiment with sidewalls to have wider cores.
Jeremy
falls

Post by falls »

Avoid varnish at all costs.
Removing it is a PITA addition to an already long process.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....