Sublimation-PBT/NYLON/UHMW

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MontuckyMadman

Sublimation-PBT/NYLON/UHMW

Post by MontuckyMadman »

So what do we know about this process?

We have seen the Coda work in Soul skis from Dr delam. Looked great, the rate is fair so that's totally viable.
http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... c&start=15

http://codaboards.com/topsheets.php

We have found a local person that does sublimation on polyester and nylon materials. She has never done any ski specific topsheet materials.

So the way I understand this process is that the graphic is printed on a transfer material with a specific sublimation inks, and then transferred via heat and pressure to your topsheet of choice.

I would like to use a local option if available. She is eager to learn and cultivate business which is great.

What is the pressure necessary to transfer these inks to these materials? 50psi? less? temp is around 350F, I know that.

Are the inks proprietary to the substrate you attempt to transfer to? ie can I use the same inks to go to Nylon or pbt as I could for UHMWPE?

Do I need a specific material to print onto to transfer to my topsheet?

Who carries PBT topsheet with the felt back. Crown?

How do I get the protective peel ply on there after I sublimate?

I realize QCM caries these inks so a call to them may be in order after I get a better handle on this.

PBT has a polyester base, nylon is totally different?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polybutylene_terephthalate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nylon

UHMW will work with this how? Polypeptide-long polymer chain? I have no clue.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UHMWPE

I am not a chemist or a material science engineer, skier first, redneck last.

My fellow ski builder and partner in crime has signed up to sell some skis.
I am a little skeptical about it but we are selling them to a business who will raffle them off. The money we make goes straight back to tools and materials.
They want a custom sublimated topsheet I will design with their logos and such. Its a brewery so the beer logos will be on the skis.
"local brews, & local skis"

Anyone with some specific knowledge on how I can help my local person learn how to do this would be mucho appreciated. The coda guy seems super cool so perhaps he could help.
I may have to have the transfer printed in town and then sublimated with my lady as she doesn't do the actual print I think.

well if you read all this bs I commend you.

I'm going to use this like all my threads, a dumping ground for resource info.
viewtopic.php?t=2330&sid=0a51551f60bee2 ... 98efd9e5e3

http://www.grafsnowboards.com/forum/vie ... ?f=1&t=594
It is now possible to get graphics directly printed on to topsheet material. The digital printing can be performed on the top of white material - with the disadvantage that it may scratch off or fade - or back printed on clear topsheet and backscreened with white ink.

Siebdruck Stainer in Austria, and Sitra / Sericora in Switzerland can perform this. The results are highly effective.
In order to get this right you need to ensure your chosen topsheet material is suitable for this type of printing - PBT is the usual choice. You cannot sublimate on to dark coloured backgrounds. If you sublimate onto white plastic, everything will work quite normally. If you sublimate onto clear plastic you must ensure that you have a light coloured substrate beneath - or back screen print white ink onto the back of the topsheet in the areas where the graphic shows through.

Sublimation is costly to set up and not so easy to perform at home. Some suppliers can sublimate your graphics onto topsheet material for a reasonable price - for quality graphics it is worth investing in their services. See our suppliers page for more information.
http://www.isosport.com/en/index.php?op ... &Itemid=14

Thanks
-MM
Last edited by MontuckyMadman on Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

as far as I know it's special ink, high temp, and high pressure. The main thing about the temp is it has to hit temp fast. No slow ramp up, which is what makes the machines so expensive.

I wish I had known about coda. Waiting for an order of topsheets right now. Not getting any response to e-mails is pretty frustrating. Also, I have to admit I am pretty stoked that they have the ability to do longer and wider prints than sbm.

Just have to get around the pay pal thing. dded pay pal.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

doughboyshredder wrote: I wish I had known about coda. Waiting for an order of topsheets right now. Not getting any response to e-mails is pretty frustrating. Also, I have to admit I am pretty stoked that they have the ability to do longer and wider prints than sbm.
Did you order your top sheets from snowboard materials? I have an order in for two top sheets Sunday, and haven't heard anything back. I was able to get someone on the phone yesterday, but he was driving in his car and said he'd check on my order once he got in. I'm just about ready to press two pairs right now, just waiting for the top sheets :(
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Just looked at the Coda website... 3 day turn around? Awesome. I'm going with them instead of SBM from now on.
OnDeck

Re: Sublimation-PBT/NYLON/UHMW

Post by OnDeck »

MontuckyMadman wrote:Who carries PBT topsheet with the felt back. Crown?
Dunno, but i know for a fact that Crown's topsheet UHMW is designed for sublimating and will defintiyl work. However, there is a little bit of bleed, which looks even worse if you printed to the underside.

MontuckyMadman wrote:UHMW will work with this how? Polypeptide-long polymer chain? I have no clue.
As before, you can sublimate onto Crown's UHMW. PM me if you wnat a close-up photo.
MontuckyMadman wrote:Its a brewery so the beer logos will be on the skis.
"local brews, & local skis"
Every time I see a beer logo snowboard on the wall of some cheesy overpriced resort bar, an angel shits it's panties in heaven. But, if it's for a good cause....

MontuckyMadman wrote:Anyone with some specific knowledge on how I can help my local person learn how to do this would be mucho appreciated. "
Warning: If the side that get's sublimated get's a little overcooked it will take the gloss of the UHMW, which can be a bummer depending on the look you want. You can get around it by printing underside, but then bleed is more noticeable.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Any idea on sourcing the clear nylon topsheet that was previously sold by SBM ?
I've even seen those topsheets with textured finish, there might be a catalog somewhere for that !
I really liked the clear matte topsheet I bought there, would have be perfect for my screen printing project ! Ways thinner that crown's Duraclear...
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
jeff@shaggys

Post by jeff@shaggys »

ISOSPORT does their PBT and Nylon/Polyamide with a felt backing. Also SOCREP in France has a felt backed topsheet.
http://www.socrep.com/ang/products/ski/index.html#

Chad at Coda does some really good work sublimating. As far as using Crown's topsheet, its registration really doesn't come out very well. Crown told us that by this spring they will have a completely new product for topsheets that can be sublimated with similar results to PBT and Nylon.
skishaggys.com
OnDeck

Post by OnDeck »

SCCSkis wrote:Crown told us that by this spring they will have a completely new product for topsheets that can be sublimated with similar results to PBT and Nylon.
Heard that rumor too! Anyone want to take bets about late they're going to be? ;)
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

OnDeck wrote:
Every time I see a beer logo snowboard on the wall of some cheesy overpriced resort bar, an angel shits it's panties in heaven. But, if it's for a good cause....
That's funneh, but not what's going on. They brew locally but not in the pseudo resort town I live in.

I will do my best photoshop to make it not so cheesy but in the end its for them so if they want the cheese, it will be on top.

As far as a good cause. I guess furthering my skibuilding is a good cause?

Thanks for the tips, maybe coda or QCM will help shed some details to get this happening locally to me.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

hey scc, you guys do sublimation in house?

Hows bout some details for us lowly folks? Thanks!
OnDeck

Post by OnDeck »

MontuckyMadman wrote: As far as a good cause. I guess furthering my skibuilding is a good cause?

Right on, if someone wants to pay you to hone your craft, who's complaining? I'm just jealous.

Curious to see how the sublimating goes.
team08

Post by team08 »

From someone who does it in house, I can tell you that it is a pain to get right. I would outsource it for sure if I had someone close to me that could turn individual orders quickly, but I don't have that luxury. Inks are expensive, printers clog/break, and topsheet material is a pain to source.

I can also say that Crown UHMW does NOT look good when sublimated. The ink really disperses in that material and the graphics are not sharp or crisp. It is probably good enough for a base graphic (when backflooded) but unless you want a blurry topsheet, then it is not very good (I invite you to show me otherwise!). I have also been in contact with them about doing something for the topsheet market, and hopefully they have something soon.
doughboyshredder

twizzstyle wrote:
Did you order your top sheets from snowboard materials?
rather not say. I don't want to bad mouth anyone.
OnDeck

Post by OnDeck »

team08 wrote: I can also say that Crown UHMW does NOT look good when sublimated. The ink really disperses in that material and the graphics are not sharp or crisp. It is probably good enough for a base graphic (when backflooded) but unless you want a blurry topsheet, then it is not very good (I invite you to show me otherwise!). I have also been in contact with them about doing something for the topsheet market, and hopefully they have something soon.
Right on. It's not a very good look. Crown actually told me they have designed the material for sublimating...no way.
doughboyshredder

twizzstyle wrote: I was able to get someone on the phone yesterday, but he was driving in his car and said he'd check on my order once he got in. (
Funny. Same thing I got.