cheap [?] HDPE for tipspacers

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

collin

cheap [?] HDPE for tipspacers

Post by collin »

I just found out about your site, and I have to say it's awesome. I passed the link along to the folks at Make and they posted it on their blog of diy coolness.

I was looking at the white plastic cutting board in my kitchen thinking it might be made of noncrappy plastic. By looking around the internets it turns out that cutting boards with the "NSF approved" (not the National Science Foundation nsf.gov, look at nsf.org) are made out of HDPE. Now I think that HDPE isn't as strong as ABS or UHMWPE but it might be a worthwhile option. Since you can get cutting boards almost anywhere.

Edit-
I forgot to mention that you'd probly want to profile the tipspacers with the core since cutting boards are ~1/4" thick.
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

Thanks! the make site is pretty cool.

I believe HDPE and UHMW is very close and are in the same polyethylene family. I don't see why HDPE wouldn't work.
melvs

Post by melvs »

from what I know, HDPE does not bond with epoxy at all. That may cause some problems.
-Pat
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

why not just make a small test piece? you can try flametreating the plastic beforehand.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)