Properties of reinforcement fibers

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

davide

Properties of reinforcement fibers

Post by davide »

Most of the skis are reinforced with glass, because it is cheaper and easy to find. Some people could maybe be interested in playing with other reinforcement fibers.
Here are some data for the fibers alone (no epoxy around):
I found basalt fiber (it is a igneous rock) on swiss-composite.ch. The fiber is ligheter and stiffer than glass, and a little bit cheaper.

Zylon (regular and Hign Modulus) is a new polymer made by Toyobo (Japan). It is the best reinforcement material around today. It is lighter and stiffer than carbon, and more shock-resistant than kevlar. It is now used for armoured vest.
littleKam
Site Admin

Re: Properties of reinforcement fibers

Post by littleKam »

davide wrote: I found basalt fiber (it is a igneous rock) on swiss-composite.ch. The fiber is ligheter and stiffer than glass, and a little bit cheaper.
I like the sound of that! Especially the cheaper part. Any specific info about the prices?
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)

Post by Guest »

At swiss-composite the glass (UD/biax/triax) costs about 3/4 CHF per square meter and 100g/m2. Basalt fibers (only UD) costs 2CHF/m2/100g.
Usually glass it is cheaper than that, but they sell also small quantity, so they charge more.
Actually basalt is an effusive rock, if I remeber well.

It should be nice to found some zylon. I have no idea about the price, probably high.
Alex

Post by Alex »

R&G in Germany offers some - looks quit interesting if combined with a +/-45 biax Glass layer:

http://shop.ezentrum.de/1609097/mh5tfxX ... rtid=50352
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

Hi Davide!

I think some of the values are for laminates and some for single fibers!

Here is a link to values for single fiber values!

http://www.nilsmalmgren.se/produkter/in ... index.html

In swedish only but I think you can figure things out!

All the best!

Henrik
Professor!
BigG

Post by BigG »

Don't forget about the "melting" of the glassfibers for example when they are curing in the epoxy. It brings the extra strength. Therefore I think such a table should be with epoxy or something similar.

Geoff
davide

Post by davide »

If I remeber well the properties listed above are for the fibers only.
But maybe I made some mistakes. I will check it. Anyway the trend is pretty much the same.

I had also some data for the fiber impregnated, and the E modulus was lower: the epoxy is less stiff than the fibers, so the tensile stiffness is lowered.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Basalt fiber fabrics become more and more available. R&G (Germany) now sells a 280g/m^2 fabric and a 240g/m^2 UD!

Here's an article about Basalt in Produktion:

[/url] http://www.compositesworld.com/ct/issue ... ust/1400/3

And those guys are already using it for snowboards:

http://www.lib-tech.com/tech/index.html [url]

I plan to use the UD from R&G for my next ski - i will let you know about my experience.
plywood

Post by plywood »

a year ago when basalt fibres were aviable for the first time i ordered some of this stuff.

sadly at this moment there was only 500g/m2 tissue aviable. so...i don`t have to mention that this stuff was waaaaay too heavy. the fibres were horribly thick and not really ideal for the purpose of building a skateboard.

but what i recognized already a year ago: these fibres would be amazing, if they just were aviable in lighter tissues - an look what we have now :D

so my impression was that basalt has similar characteristics like carbon. nearly the same strenght etc.
so it made a lot of fun working with it. and it`s even cooler if you imagine you`re working with a tissue made out of stone.
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
Alex

Post by Alex »

Here's a comparison Basalt - E-Glass:

Dichte g/cm³ 2,75 2,6
Zugfestigkeit MPa 4840 3450
Druckfestigkeit Mpa 3792 3033
E-Modul MPa 89000 77000
Bruchdehnung % 3,15 4,7

in english:

density g/cm³ 2,75 2,6
tensile strength MPa 4840 3450
compression strength Mpa 3792 3033
Young's mmodulus MPa 89000 77000
breaking elongation % 3,15 4,7
powdercow

Post by powdercow »

Thanks Alex that is good information.

The two questions it raises for me are?

1. Your data makes is look like basalt is actually heavier than glass while most of the marketing lines point to the opposite. Is one measure for the cloth and another for a solid peice of material?

2. The last line also shows that basalt can withstand less strech (translates into ski flex) before the fibers start to break. I would think that would be a problem in ski building. Any comments?
- Ben
Alex

Post by Alex »

Basalt has a higher density so a laminate with the same thickness/volume will be heavier. But you should compare the other properties as well:

tensile strength is 40% higher
compression strength is 25% higher
and it's 16% stiffer

So overall you can reduce the amount of fibers and get a lighter composite.

Stiffer materials usually have less breaking elongation. But if you compare it to carbon (1,7%) it's still very high.
powdercow

Post by powdercow »

Thanks for the answers Alex. I will be interested to hear how basalt works as it starts getting used more.
- Ben
Alex

Post by Alex »

Here's another article about Basalt as reinforcement (epoxy):

http://www.reinforcedplastics.com/artic ... basalt.pdf
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Found this on another post. ebay post on basalt:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... L:RTQ:US:1