pop: titanal, carbon, gfk..

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

dEFcHILL

pop: titanal, carbon, gfk..

Post by dEFcHILL »

hello,

we want to build a allround twiny with advantages in park. kind of the voelkl karma (87mm in the middle).

so what do u do to get an nice pop. we are thinking about to use carbon stripes from the binding to the tail or titanal? what's your opinion? i'm afraid, tha titan overbends to easily, that what i heard..? but i'm not sure..

hve u maybe already tried to bring the weight down by using a composite of strong wood with 1 or 2 layers foam?

thank u..
Biggie

Post by Biggie »

From what i know titanal bends, definetly not a good thing for a park ski(heavy too). I'd use carbon strips for pop thats what most companies do.
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

yeah i think the titanal is a little heavy. i would do what Biggie says and try using some carbon stringers.

as for the foam thing. doesn't atomic combine wood with foam in some of their skis? not sure if the old stomps or the new triplets have them but i remember hearing about that some where.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
dEFcHILL

Post by dEFcHILL »

no, *atomic* doesn't use any wood in any ski, instead of the raceskis, but only for silly herman maier and folk.. the only ski they use a wood care is for the *armada*-skis, they build there..

but it's interesting to know, that titan is heavy, i thought iz really light-weight. why does *line* then use it?
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

i'm really not too sure the advantages of Titanal over something else like carbon fiber strips.

I know Line uses both Titanal and carbon fiber in their ski construction. It seems like they only use carbon fiber for their lighter version skis like the Mothership Flite, while the "regular" mothership has Titanal in it instead. Who knows the reasoning.

I was confused about the Atomic thing. Black Diamond, which have skis made by Atomic, do use a combination wood and foam construction. I think they use wood for the lower layer and then laminate foam on top to achieve the 3D crossbow element. Supposedly this reduces weight but also maintains power transfer throughout the ski.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
endre

Post by endre »

My girlfriend just made a longboard with birch core and two layers of titanal. Works great. light, strong board with a snappy, light feeling. together with aramid fibres and wood it provides great dampening. laminates very well. Be carefull with heat during aftercuring, the metal expands and delaminates from the wood over 60celcius. Titanal makes light skis. wheight like alu (2,7) and strength like titanium.