Soild Wood skis

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

TheNewEnglandPlow

Soild Wood skis

Post by TheNewEnglandPlow »

Im a telemark skier i want to make a 95-70-85 ski it want to know if a fully wooden ski would be viable im thinking of a poly base because pine tar seems like a hastle. So give me your thoughts on hickory, Ash, Maple. Show wood or pure white? Would a ski like that be viable? How thick? Which wood should i pick? I do mostly down hill skiing
chrismp

Re: Soild Wood skis

Post by chrismp »

Depends on what is "viable" to you. Others on here have successfully built skis without ptex bases. Here are some older posts with info on this:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3913

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2905
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

What is you definition of a fully wood ski? No Fibres? Edges?

Tardi Skis did that in the past, dont know if they still build like that
Tom
TheNewEnglandPlow

Post by TheNewEnglandPlow »

Edges are okay bottom sheets are okay by d
Soild wood i mean that the ski has a single piece of wood as its internal. You can have a top sheet or base. The main piece of the ski is a single piece of wood
Blackgum

Post by Blackgum »

Hi im putting some bases and edging on old wood skis. I want to use wood for the bases but have trouble deciding.
Will strand bamboo make good bases? 1.4mm veneer looks like amazing stuff. Hardness is well over 3000.
Any experience with this?
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Bamboo is no wood. Just saying it ;)
Tom
Blackgum

Post by Blackgum »

Are you reffering to strand bamboo being sythetic. Broken into fibers and compressedYes thats what im looking for. I had originally wanted to use lignonstone. But could not source any.
I need an opinion as to bamboo's performance as a base material. I know what hickory is like. So bamboo should be alot better right? Lighter harder and more durable. .but does it slide?..