m5 inserts for split clips

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

o.ahlgren

m5 inserts for split clips

Post by o.ahlgren »

hey,

curious how other people solved integrating inserts for split clips in order to avoid drilling straight through the skis.

my plan is to make two different core profile jigs, where I start with the profile that has a slight raise (2mm) in the core where the m5 inserts go.
once profiled with that i move on to the next which is the regular core profiler, working around the raised sections on each side, but leaving them in the center. makes sense?

my only trouble with this is finding m5 inserts. i bought some from junksupply.com but they're only 3.1mm in total height, which only gives me ~2mm of threads. worried this might not be enough. further, they're not tall enough to poke through the entire core thickness since i have thickened the core in that area for extra strength.

my core is poplar/paulownia, so not exactly strong wood.

i have 2 options;

1. i found 10mm tall m5 inserts at skibaumarkt that i could sand down, and keeping the raised core thickness.

2. i use the 3.1mm inserts i have, i don't thicken the core, but add 2 layers of glassfiber instead. i would still have the (potential) issue of only 2mm of threading.

what do you think? any other ideas?
mammuth

Re: m5 inserts for split clips

Post by mammuth »

The ones from skibaumarkt are too big. You need to drill huge holes which are ok vor bindings but in the thin tip/tail area its imho just too big (also because of the narrow spacing needed for clips). Outside dimensions are the same like the M6 inserts
Tom
o.ahlgren

Post by o.ahlgren »

Yeah i noticed they wouldn’t work.

I found some that i think will work better, they’re called
”weld bolts” in swedish.

If the flange happens to be too big i’ll just grind them down a bit.
Attachments
4DEF7452-18CB-4C6D-9A27-BB52D58F97DB.jpeg
4DEF7452-18CB-4C6D-9A27-BB52D58F97DB.jpeg (15.45 KiB) Viewed 2586 times
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

They are open on both sides so not good. You could close the lower side (where the flange is) but then you loose a bit of adhesion to the base side layers. And if your screw is too long.... ;) The flange is way to big too

One us shop is selling this style of inserts with a closed flange. Dont remember which one it was but there are not so many skibuilding suppliers shops in the us, so google will lead you to something (but they are not cheap).

Other possibility you look for a chinese supplier and order from there. Me and maybe others would be happy to take a part of the order (dont know the minimum amounts, you need to check). You can find fitting inserts there, did look into this 2 years ago.
Last edited by mammuth on Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Tom
o.ahlgren

Post by o.ahlgren »

hey thanks mammuth,

i actually found the ones from skilab, but their shipping is $70....

i suppose china is definitely an alternative, its just the lead-times can be > 1 month.

these are the ones i have, would you have dared to try them?
Attachments
m5_inserts.jpg
m5_inserts.jpg (191.43 KiB) Viewed 2577 times
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

No, head / flange too big and nothing to prevent twisting. Draw your hook spacing on a piece of paper and then add the flange circles. You will understand ;)

Maybe the js piece works, but it would not be my first choice ;)
Tom
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

You can just grind down two sides of the flanges of the Junksupply inserts like the flanges on the welding nuts. This will free up some space so you can get the inserts close enough and the flat flange sides will also add some resistance against twisting. Doing this takes only a few seconds on a bench grinder or belt sander, and even using a file would still be quick.

I used the inserts from skibaumarkt for the clips on my last build and did exactly this to get them to sit close enough to the sidewalls.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

But you still need a 17 or 19mm drill (dont remember). On the US inserts its just a small hole (9 or 11mm!?). Would need to measure, just out of my memory
Tom
o.ahlgren

Post by o.ahlgren »

the JS inserts are only 12mm in diameter (flanges) so they will definitely fit, i've checked that already and as chrismp suggests its easy enough to grind the sides to prevent them from rotating.

my only concern with them is the height. the total height is only 3.1mm, with about 2mm of threads. i have them positioned where the core still tapers, so the core thickness is > than the height of the inserts themselves.