core hardwood inserts

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

o.ahlgren

core hardwood inserts

Post by o.ahlgren »

hey all,

making a split with poplar + paulownia core. i didn't laminate the core myself and unfortunately the inserts end up exactly in a paulownia stringer.

my core is 7.7mm thick where the inserts go, but i'm still thinking i'll drop in some harder wood just where the inserts go.
the plan is just to cut out the sections using a router and drop in the hardwood.

my questions are;

- is this necessary, or should i just reinforce with some additional GF in these sections?
- can i just use wood glue for attaching the hardwood inserts to the core (just to keep in place during planing/profiling) and count on the lamination holding the hardwood in place after?

i'll be using 22oz triax glass top and bottom.
Attachments
core_insert.jpg
core_insert.jpg (101.12 KiB) Viewed 1540 times
mammuth

Re: core hardwood inserts

Post by mammuth »

With inserts i dont see a pullout problem in soft wood. But insert sink may be possible. I think you will be fine when you put one more patch of fibreglas between inserts and core. I would not try to fiddle some patches of hardwood in.
Tom
SleepingAwake

Post by SleepingAwake »

I do agree with mammuth that it is probably fine, but i personally would just route out a small pocket and bond in some poplar locally just to be on the safe side. In the end this takes like half an hour and drilling the insert holes will end up being easier as the drilling these soft woods can be a pita...
o.ahlgren

Post by o.ahlgren »

thanks a lot of the advice guys, much appreciated!