Acrylic painted artwork Q

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

JSquare

Acrylic painted artwork Q

Post by JSquare »

Two part question-- (this might be a bad pun)

Looking to do some custom artwork top and bottom of board using some rattle can acrylic type paint.

The bottom I've had good luck with before-- just painting the inside of a clear base with acrylic. Someone else on here had shown this to work-- painted it, pressed it, and rode it for a few years without any signs of delam. Figured i'd just do the same again.

For the top side, i figured... veneer topsheet, coat over with epoxy during layup, sand back, rattle can automotive primer, rattle can acrylic paint, and then a few coats of the usual marine 2 part urethane with the flex additive per the usual process.

Any obvious issues?
barnboy

Re: Acrylic painted artwork Q

Post by barnboy »

You might have a look at Montana Colors spray paints... I've used them for other projects (not painting skis) but the literature on the Fiberglass Hawaii website (awesome resource) leads one to believe you might have some luck, and probably save yourself a few steps too. Hope this helps!

From Fiberglass Hawaii:

These water-based spray paints come in wide variety of outstanding colors that are compatible with either polyurethane or polystyrene foam blanks. They can be sprayed directly on the foam surface before fiberglassing or on the finished sanded surface. Once these water-soluble spray paints dry they are waterproof, eliminating the need to apply sealer coats. These easy to use spray paints will bring out your creative genius! The pigments used in these paints is of the highest artist grade quality and is highly recommended for the Fine Arts, Graffiti Art and professional jobs.

Low odor, water soluble formula, suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. Water resistant and permanent once dry. Matte finish.

https://shop.fiberglasshawaii.com/paren ... pray-paint

https://www.montanacolors.com/en/
JSquare

Post by JSquare »

Dude! Those links are great. Two very useful suppliers. That water based stuff from montana is a waterbased urethane spray paint-- which is something i was looking for on another project. Definitely worth exploring.
barnboy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:52 am You might have a look at Montana Colors spray paints... I've used them for other projects (not painting skis) but the literature on the Fiberglass Hawaii website (awesome resource) leads one to believe you might have some luck, and probably save yourself a few steps too. Hope this helps!

JSquare

Post by JSquare »

I emailed Montana a few questions--

Took a week or so but got a nice thoughtful answer from a tech. WRT to using acrylic paint-- they suggested an acrylic rattle can primer coat:
https://www.montanacolors.com/en/produc ... se-primer/
Their hardcore acrylic lineup: https://www.montanacolors.com/en/productos/hardcore/
And this thing they call 2K two part component varnish-- which is this neat little rattle can with the following description:
"MTN PRO Varnish 2K is a two-component (2K) polyurethane spray varnish for permanently sealing painted surfaces.It is specially designed for final finishing of parts and repairs. This product provides long-lasting resistance to humidity and chemical agents.Specially recommended for automotive and bicycle frame painting."
https://www.montanacolors.com/en/produc ... t-varnish/
o.ahlgren

Post by o.ahlgren »

hi JSquare,

curious to hear if you tried the monatana stuff?
JSquare

Post by JSquare »

Experiments ongoing!

Working with a couple short kid sized decks on some swirl coating on topsheet after layup, which is its own challenge. I'll get some posts up in coming weeks. One thing I'll say is that montana has a variety of colors, and they've actually been emailing back and forth with me providing tech support.
o.ahlgren

Post by o.ahlgren »

alright that's awesome. gotta appreciate support like that.

looking forward to see your work with this!

my plan is to paint on top of veneer post layup, add some screen printed details, and then finish off with a PU coating.
curious to know if the montana paints can take the screen inks + coating on top?
JSquare

Post by JSquare »

Woof sorry-- i've not been on top of posting here. So what i'm working on here on this particular project may or may not be applicable.I've been making a batch of 4 of kids boards, 80cm, and two of these have been used to work on some rattle can, hydrodip, swirl coat process dev.

So what i'll show here is part of that.. this is a wood topsheet, pressed in the standard firehose press, sanded lightly, primed white, painted pink, dipped blue/pink, and brush coated with a few coats of slightly thinned (10%) system 3 water based poly with flex additive. It has not been sanded, polished, or just cleaned up. There are also a series of cure steps in here which were all at 40-50C for 4-8 hrs.
  • The matte white primer from montana is pretty awesome. it goes on really nice, has good coverage, and great adhesion to the epoxy
  • The mountain hardcore colors are vibrant. Very good adhesion to primer
  • No issues with the water based poly and the paint what so ever. No interactions.
  • I also bought a 2 part urethane rattle can from montana but haven't tried it yet.
Attachments
0D97406C-65BE-4E88-9220-F7174DAE5640.JPG
0D97406C-65BE-4E88-9220-F7174DAE5640.JPG (179.09 KiB) Viewed 4937 times
FA36686F-95E0-4684-A725-4834EFCF92AE.JPG
FA36686F-95E0-4684-A725-4834EFCF92AE.JPG (229.13 KiB) Viewed 4937 times
o.ahlgren

Post by o.ahlgren »

nice, looking good!

Thanks for sharing the process.

Would you say you would have needed the primer?

Waiting on a couple of Montana MTN94 cans to be delivered. But want to achieve slight transparency so the top sheet is slightly visible underneath the color. But maybe the primer is needed for adhesion?

I'm gonna try with a 2K polyurethane (solvent based). Montana says it should be fine.
JSquare

Post by JSquare »

I would think that the epoxy on the top veneer, sanded with 220 grit or similar would be a nice primer for adhesion. I will say though-- i had a past bad experience with putting a rattle can acyrlic on top of the wood, and then applying the PU clearcoat. I tried everything-- clear adhesion promoters, cleaning, scuffing, curing... after 5-6 iterations of trying this, i went out and bought some PU paint. The issues seemed to be just poor adhesion between the acrylic and the topsheet. I don't think i had much epoxy-- if i can recall, i was trying to save a board that came out funny and got oversanded a bit.

I'm curious what you think of the 2K from montana. I have can, but at $25 a can, and only 24 hrs to use it, i've been too shy to experiment. :|
o.ahlgren

Post by o.ahlgren »

alright thanks for that, i'll definitely test before going live.

the MTN94 cans i ordered are colors, and not their varnish. I'll be using 2K solvent based marine varnish on top of the MTN94 colors.
o.ahlgren

Post by o.ahlgren »

Finally got around to testing this.

The Montana cans (MTN94) are dissolved by the polyurethane. I’m glad i didnt take for granted that they would hold up to it, but did a test first.

Now i’m back to square one. I’ve got a board with a veneer top sheet that need painted artwork.
I cant get ahold of the epoxy paints.

What to do?
o.ahlgren

Post by o.ahlgren »

so talked to some people on the snowboard builders fb group and got verified that the Spraymax 2K Clear Coat will hold up to the flex of the board/ski.

i've used it previously on acrylic colors and it leaves a great finish that you can polish to incredible shine if you want.

i'm gonna give it a go.
spraymax.jpg
spraymax.jpg (237.68 KiB) Viewed 4360 times
pmg

Post by pmg »

Good to know. Do you have any experience regarding the robustness of this 2K spray coat? Seems like a product easy to get in Germany and I am not satisfied with my current 1K PU clear coat. Also applying it by rolling always leaves some dirt in the coat, spraying could be the way to go.
o.ahlgren

Post by o.ahlgren »

For ski/snowboard applications i can’t yet say about the robustness, but we’ve used it for motorcycle tanks a lot and for that it is just fantastic.
My worry was that it would be too hard and not be able to handle the flex, but got confirmed that other people have used it with good results.
I’ll give it a shot and let you know how it goes.