titanal layup help

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mowgli1996

titanal layup help

Post by mowgli1996 »

hi,

after some basic freeride ski, i'm going to build my first gs ski and I would like to use the titanal,
after some studies and readings in the forum, I thought of building a ski with 2 layers of titanium and a 1 cm woodcore (ash and poplar)

my project is to build a ski with this layers:

base, edges and vds tape on edges

triax fiberglass 750 g/m2

0,4 mm titanal layer (on the whole layer)

woodcore

0,4 mm titanal layer (on the whole layer)

triax fiberglass 750 g/m2

topsheet

but I have some doubts:

it's better that the titanal lies between the fiber and the woodcore, or between the fiber and the outer layers?

and i read also that someone use a layer of vds on both side of the titanal to improve bonding, it is necessary?

usually I use the 750 g/m2 fiberglass, it is good also in this case or it is better a lighter one?

0.4mm titanal is too thin with this configuration?

I usually press with vacuum press at 20 degrees for 12/14 hours and then I raise the temperature to 60 degrees for 3/4 hours, with the titanal I can continue to heat up so much or is it better to keep the temperatures lower?

does anyone have any advice / experience?

thanks in advance
skidesmond

Re: titanal layup help

Post by skidesmond »

I made a GS pair. I did a write up on it. My research said the titanal should go against the core. I put VDS on both sides of the titanal, but when I did sample layups with and without VDS both bonded fine. But I went with VDS for insurance and provide a little bit of damping.