NEW SKI MAKER NEEDING BASIC HELP

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

RG38

NEW SKI MAKER NEEDING BASIC HELP

Post by RG38 »

Hey guys, for my senior project this spring I am making a pair of skis. I plan on making a cross out of MDF boards and when it comes to present time I'm going to use a vacuum bag and also the top part of the press to add more pressure. My layers from base up are going to be a PTEX base-fiberglass-poplar core with PTEX sidewalls-fiberglass-bamboo topsheet. Obviously I’m going to be putting Epoxy in between every layer, however, I have no clue what kind of epoxy to use. I want to use one that I can cure at room temp because I don’t have the resources to use a high temp one. Can anyone give me epoxy advices or just advice on the process in general? Is my project realistic? Do you think I can finish this by May 11th? I would really appreciate any help/advice anyone is willing to be offer. Thank you!
chrismp

Re: NEW SKI MAKER NEEDING BASIC HELP

Post by chrismp »

What epoxies are available, usually depends on where you are located. Try to get some West System 105 with the 209 extra slow hardener.
vinman

Post by vinman »

See if you can find a builder in your area and ask if they might be able to help you get started.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

you did not mention if you have needed tools and equipment. Not to mention skills to use it. Cutting tools can cut not only wood.... I have several close calls.
Anyway it several epoxies people using around here. Heat cure and room temperature. Heat cure. Also, will cure at room temperature btw. It all depends how quickly you can get your epoxy.
From start to finish including making press, mold, templates and everything else that's a lot of work to be finished by May 11. I'm not saying it's can't be done but it's a lot of work.
If you're not concerned of quality or this particular pair but only to be finished as quickly as possible. Just get ANY clear epoxy you can get hands-on. Same goes for templates and the press make something quick and simple
For graphics. You can go old school and use cotton ( I'm still using cotton every now and then)
you don't even have to use any proper fiberglass fabric
afterwards if you like to make skis you can improve process get proper materials and most importantly don't have deadline.
also, local boat repair stores would carry West systems and Entropy. Many builders, myself included using Entropy

Good luck letters now how skis come out
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison