Split board question regarding base level

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

the.quass

Split board question regarding base level

Post by the.quass »

Hey everyone,
I have my split board 90% put together now. I have a little issue though. With voile hooks and plates attached the base sits slightly lower on on side than the other. Its about half a mill but its pretty noticeable. I was thinking I would sand the top a little to lower the hook on the high side or add a spacer below the lower hook side at the bolt and the tip. Anyone have a better idea?
vinman

Post by vinman »

Post a pic maybe?
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
24Dave

Post by 24Dave »

The spacer route is the way to go. Maybe use some topsheet material which is about that thick or sand down some base material to the thickness of the difference and use a bit of contact cement if not epoxy. I usually give the center edge a nice healthy bevel too-might be enough for 0.5mm.
richie

splitboard level base

Post by richie »

Hi, yes 0.5mm base level difference will probably bite you when you least expect it, on a cat track flat run......shimming might help a whisker but in fact it might not be the whole answer as shimming the chinese hooks does not actually level the top sides of the board, the chinese hooks work best when they bear down on the opposing side topsheet to equalise the deck height there.

You might be better off to firmly clamp the board both half flat on table and route the topsheet in a nice regular shaped shallow cut around the entire chinese hook area to an even height on both half so the hooks both bear down equally on the opposite board half. Hope I am making sense. You could even route it and then epoxy on another small section of topsheet on both sides to keep it looking good. You will barely see this in the end with the hooks on top.

Did you press the 2 half side by side in the same pressing or one at a time? I do mine in the one pressing effectively press as one board then cut down the centre between the edges with bandsaw and trim and finish, both half bang on same thickness.

sing out if you need more advise I build a lot of splitboards.......they do my head in sometimes too.

cheers
Rich
MonkeyCAM and SnoCAD - https://github.com/mikemag
Ski binding mounting https://github.com/splitn2/DrillSki

Richard Harcourt | www.splitn2.com | Christchurch New Zealand
rich@splitn2.com | www.facebook.com/splitn2
24Dave

Post by 24Dave »

right, like richie said any shim (or leveling) will also have to shim the surface where the clip from the opposing side rests. Alternatively, couldn't you mill or file down one half of each or one clip so that it compensates for the board thickness that doesn't match instead of trying to alter the board half thickness with shims or leveling the topsheet down?

The thinner board half would have a clip that is ground down .5mm on the half that rests on the thicker board half. The thicker board half would have a clip that you filed down on the portion that rests on the thicker board half. This way you could fix the problem without messing with your board and just messing with replaceable clips that you can junk if you messed one up. I'd hold the portion to be ground flat on a belt sander with a 120/150 grit belt until I had the steps measuring and fitting right with the board halves clamped down to a flat surface like richie advised.

Also for future builds, having shortened inside edges that don't continue so far to clips reduces catchy-ness from halves flexing apart differently and exposing edge seams (should you be so unfortunate as to ride in non-pow for a significant distance :D )