Waivers/insurance again...

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Boulderski

Waivers/insurance again...

Post by Boulderski »

Hey before a bunch of people tell me to check this forum and that this topic has already been covered - I got it and thx for all the input and sharing guys.

My prob is a lot of the conversations about insurance/ waivers are several years old (atleast the ones I was finding through google search) and the links to peoples examples on waivers and insurance are no longer there.

Recap for the people who haven't read those forums:
- Liability insurance is mad expensive
- try not to mess with bindings (i mount 20 skis a day at a ski shop - but I will still have the "shop" mount skis - i dont do it in my own space)
-Waivers are good but often only help to discourage someone from taking you to court
-and ultimately a lot of the posts are gloom and doom about how its impossible to make a profit as a small batch ski company - but people have done it... and I am already an addict.

So thats out of the way! Anyone down to share some info that has had some success. I just want to eat ramen and build skis - i dont need much to survive and I dont have much to lose.

Ideally I would love to see an example of a waiver form and any input on liability insurance. Also those of you who have got a waiver how does that work when you sell a ski online? How do you get a signature?

Thanks guys!
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

You can find liability frm a provider who knows how to work the actuaries and doent see you as a liability. Go talk to people locally in person. Find an insurence guy whos a skier. Exploit other resources of networking. It took me 3 years to find a guy that would sign me for cheap.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
Dream

Post by Dream »

@MM - what is "cheap"?
Boulderski

Post by Boulderski »

Thanks MM - yeah I live in Boulder Co so thats a really good idea to go local and find a provider (skier). Curious what cheap is to you as well?

Also anyone want to share any info on Waivers? I know eventually I would have to have lawyer draft one up... but I want to have a good idea of what needs to be included in the waiver before I begin talking to lawyers.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Buyers dont like waivers unless you know them. Its a pita to get them signed if they arent rght in frnt of you. 333 had one, head monkey had one some others also. Mine was 5 pages of much redundent info in different legalease. I just compiled and altered what others had done. Had a lwyer check it out said it was solid but without liability your are still open to issues if someone wants to try and sue you.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.