rocker

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Gilo

rocker

Post by Gilo »

hello everyone

I have made skis with camber and early tip rise thus far. I want to make a full rocker pair.

In my camber skis I have made the arc about 8mm at it's highest point. For rocker skis do I just reverse this and make the curve 8mm deep or are there other rules?

Thanks and any help /advise much appreciated as always

Gilo
pmg

Post by pmg »

Well... it depends, as always.

If you want a powder only ski you can really have the radius of the full rocker more or less evenly distributed over the whole length of the ski.

If you want a ski that wont ski ***** as soon as you hit some hard pack, keep the skis nearly flat for at least 50% of the ski and then start the real rocker.

My best guess:
Go to a ski resort where you can rent a looooot of different skis. Test a lot of different full rocker skis in one day, see how the "rocker line" is, how hard they are. Then you will get a good feeling of what you are looking for.

Cheers
Gilo

Post by Gilo »

just as an addendum to this thread

Do powders skis have to be rockered? Or can a good AM profile with early rise tips do the job?

I am more like to be skiing crud, chop and old powder than anything virgin as my time on the slopes is limited.

The ski is going to 112 underfoot

Thanks

Giles
jono

reverse camber

Post by jono »

I made a pair of reverse camber skis a few years ago that I still use.
145/122/130 about 30m radius full reverse camber
They are my ski#3 on viewtopic.php?t=4616&highlight=
The radius of the rocker is right about the same as the side cut radius. On hard pack and ice they carve like racing skis. In powder they float well. They are big skis but they turn fairly quickly due to the reverse camber. These skis power through crud.
These type of skis require a different more neutral stance with a bit of forward lean. Watch how Eric Hjorleifson skis on his reverse camber skis.
They are best when turning but after you change your stance they can be comfortably skied in a straight line. The best part of reverse camber skis is that they don't require that the skier drives forward into a turn in order to induce the camber of the ski to reverse itself and turn the ski, and in powder the skier need not make any effort to keep the tips up. These qualities reduce fatigue at the end of the day.
If you use a reverse camber with a narrower ski that is fairly stiff you will have a good all around ski that will ski well in powder and do fine in other conditions.
heke

Post by heke »

I have skies that are about flat, some 2-5 mm tail / tip rocker 140/111/130 R30, lenght 190 cm. With these skies I can ski on egde on hard /soft snow and powder etc. It's also easy to ski short turns. Yes on hard snow race ski are better but these skies are much better in variable conditions.

I have also full rocker skis and I find those also good on hard snow as well, thus egdes must be sharp.

I sharper skies daily when on holiday for sking.

Yes testing skies will give good idea.

edit:
I have Völkl Katana & One, have ski alot with Blizzard Cochise..for me all work on piste / outdoors..

I ski these skies on piste like race skies; weight on both skies; turning to next turn is slower ofcouse. It took me some time to dare to do this but it works well.