Beginners Questions

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

pmg wrote:
That sounds much better. Usually the tail rocker in a ski is less than the tip rocker, as you don't ride switch that much unless you are a park gangster.
7.5mm camber is still much for an off-piste oriented ski. Not too much, but much.
Am building a quite similar ski at the moment, but can't send any fancy computer graphics as all is done without.
Thanks for the tips on Binding mounting. I'll get one of those drill bits. I want to pre install lugs in the core so I can easily swap between skis to test a few designs. (If I get around to building them)

I'll see if the ski shop has the jig, otherwise I'll look at doing it myself.

As to the camber, I think I over did it a little on the snowboard. Not to worry. It will go well in hard pack.
I am nobody. Nobody's perfect, so I must be perfect.
sammer

Post by sammer »

I have to 2nd what shif said about demo bindings.
Mount point is a hard one to get right without some experimentation.
Having a demo binding lets you move boot center back and forth a bit to find the sweet spot.

And being able to let your friends ski on, and critique your creations, is well worth the extra weight.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

Ok, that brings me to a new question then.
I have access to rental bindings at a good price (I think, as my brother in law has a ski school with ski rental.. haven't asked him about it yet)

Anyway the skis I want to build will be 100mm wide under foot. Most rental ski brakes are not wide enough for a powder orientated ski I assume. How do you get around that problem?
A friend of mine said just to re-bend them wider.
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

Demo bindings are lighter and generally higher performance than rental bindings. I use Look PX12 Demo, exact same as Rossi and Dynastar. They offer brake widths of 80, 100, and 120 mm, all interchangable.
These bindings are easy to find brand new on eBay for about $100 US.
EVO dot com has these with 100 mm brakes on sale:
http://www.evo.com/outlet/alpine-ski-bi ... -demo.aspx

-S
pmg

Post by pmg »

Well, it totally depends on what binding it is. Some ski manufacturers only have one system nowadays for rental and "normal" skis for sale. Nordica and Völkl do this a lot.

The brake width really is the only problem. There are not so much rental bindings this wide, so going for the demo bindings SHIF mentioned seems a good idea.
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

Demo bindings are definitely the best option.. Just quite expensive here. The Looks would be perfect and a good price, but EVO won't export to Germany and they don't seem to be available here..
Not to worry. I will ask around.
Last edited by Akiwi on Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

If you cant find it i can check you a connection to the look demo stuff from france
Tom
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

Akiwi wrote:Demo bindings are definitely the best option.. Just quite expensive here. The Looks would be perfect and a good price, but EVO won't export to Germany and they don't seem to be available here..
Not to worry. I will ask around.
Here is a seller willing to send to Germany:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141456321295

I've bought from this guy in the past, no worries.

-S
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

Thanks guys. Like I said, I need to talk to my brother in law, who has a ski school and ski rental business.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Marker bindings are easy to get in germany. Had a look, for example the Schizo offers everything you need.
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

pmg wrote:Marker bindings are easy to get in germany. Had a look, for example the Schizo offers everything you need.
Danke and Thanks Mate.. They look perfect.
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

Binding Position???

Ok, I have managed to get hold of a pair of demo bindings for a good price through my Brother in law. (Not sure exactly which ones yet).

My skis are in the press at the moment.
They have a Rocker tip / Camber form (I hope).
I have been reading up on binding position.
For allmountain / powder skis, I have read that the center of boot should be 5 - 6 cm back from the true center of the carving edge, Is this what other people would say?
So in the SnoCad-X program, the middle of ski line should be where I measure from, then place the middle of boot mark 5 to 6 cm back from that?

If I possibly want to swap bindings to newer skis.. whould it be advisable to use Screw Inserts, like these?
http://www.woodmagazine.com/materials-g ... d-inserts/
pmg

Post by pmg »

Hi,

5-6cm for powder might do, I think on hard pack it will suck. What I would do: Depending on your shoe size you can adjust the position of your foot via the demo bindings by ~5cm. So I would put the binding in a way that you can have a normal stance at the center of the sidecut and up to 5cm backwards.

Regarding Inserts: I use Rampamuffen Typ C to do exactly what you want. Its a bit more work than normal mounting, but once its done its great. Also you dont have to care about the type of wood under the binding.
Have a look here:
http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4793
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

Probably a critical question..
When you say " have a normal stance at the center of the sidecut and up to 5cm backwards. "
I assume we are talking about the Ball of your foot being at the ccenter of the sidecut, and not the middle of the boot.
pmg

Post by pmg »

No, talking about the middle marking on the boot.