Camber centre under foot centre?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

pmg

Camber centre under foot centre?

Post by pmg »

Hi,

just made the mould ready. Doing this I noticed that the centre of my camber is not directly under the centre of the sidecut (which is my centre of foot later).
This happens because the distance from the ski centre to the front contact point is longer than the distance to the back contact point.
I already "stretch" the front camber part a bit, but not so much that the camber centre is under the ski centre. Its like 3cm in front.

How do you do it? Stretch the forward camber section so much that it is under the ski centre, or have a completely symmetrical camber or...?

Hope you understand what I mean ;)
vinman

Post by vinman »

i usually place the waist of the ski and the highest point of the camber at the same location. But I have seen ski built with the height of the camber elsewhere. For example the Dynastar Cham 97 has the height of the camber set back from the waist quite a bit, maybe something like 3-4 inches back.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Had the same prob on a ski with big front and small tail rocker. Doing it the conservative way (everything symetrically and in the middle) my boot centre would have ended up too far back for my taste, too much shovel in front.
I did a asym camber then and was quite happy with it.

If you do lets say a longer front camber you can counteract the little bit softer characteristic with little bit thicker core profile if you want a symetrically spring/rebounce profile.

Btw. the 3cm to the front would bring the pressure spot more to your toes, which would be not bad at all. Depends on your riding style.
Tom
pmg

Post by pmg »

Hi mammuth,

definitely fits my riding style :) Thats why I don't worry at all, but am interested how others are doing it.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

My camber has always been centered at the true center of the ski. Never felt weird so I've never changed it. My thickness profile and sidecut is always centered at boot center.
RYM Experimentals

Post by RYM Experimentals »

We've done it a few different ways and I prefer the camber to be setback a bit 20-30mm but I also like the surf feel (for snowboards). If your going after more of a park setup than I would go with camber centered to the sidecut. Never tried one with the camber pushed forward. Would probably force you over the tips more in your turns.
www.rymexp.com
On the edge of control is a good place to be!
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

It might actually turn out to be a good thing. A breakthrough in ski technology!!!
As you go into a carving turn with your weight forwards, you are using the ball of your foot for the ski pressure, therefore if the camber is located further forward, it will give a more even preasure on the snow. Mind you , might be softer at the end of the turn when your weight comes back a bit.