Magnatraction? Need some advice.

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

RYM Experimentals

Magnatraction? Need some advice.

Post by RYM Experimentals »

Hope everyone is well. 1st post of the season. Its been a busy summer but winding down with the sun sports and working on a new design that I need some help with. Building a 164 Twin All Mountain snowboard with pointy tips, early rise on each end, multi camber with rocker in the middle and a bit of traditional camber tip and tail... got all that figured out but I want to put a 14 point spline on it (7 each side). My question to the group; has anyone done much with mag? How much do I give each spine, my design has it at 1mm right now but I cant find any specs on how deep the big boys go. Anyone know and is it a bitch to get the edges right? Your help is appreciated.

On other news, my buddy's Skischool is offering the first Snowskate lessons in the area and Ryme will be paired with Blackdog Logboards as the official snowskate deck of choice. Pretty exciting, well see what happens.

Cheers, nice to be posting again. Hope that means the snow will fly soon! -Don 8)
www.rymexp.com
On the edge of control is a good place to be!
RYM Experimentals

No replies yet? Come on gang, I'm looking for some help here. Has no one done a Magnatraction style deck?
www.rymexp.com
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

I can't remember anyone on the Forum making one. I've looked at a couple of photos and it seems that the largest bumps in the middle of the sidecut are in the ballpark of 1.5-2mm. Maybe go to a store and check out some libtech boards.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

I've been doing magnatraction on a few different boards for a little while.
I think 7 point magnatraction is way too severe. An all mountain board wants either mild 5 point magnatraction, like a Jones all mountain twin. Or the Capita middle bump type magnatraction like found on a few of their board.
I have done a few different ways and I find the Capita reverse side cut bump is the easiest to do and a sweet middle ground for grip.
Remember that you want to create pressure points when you are up on edge, not weird catch points when you're flat based or almost flat.
If you draw out your sidecut then divide it into 5 straight lines (the outer two being the longest straight lines) then round the joins a little, well you just created a near perfect 5 point magnatraction edge.
RYM Experimentals

Thanks Gav. Appreciate the advice, I like the 5 point idea better than 7. I'm using SnoCAD to design it and they do have a 5 point option in the software but it asks how deep you want the serrations. Ill take Chrismp's advice as well and go check out a few at the shops to see how deep others are going. Ill give it a try and post up my success (or failure) here in a while. Wish me luck.
www.rymexp.com
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Yeah chris has the idea. Its super subtle on the skis maybe 1.5mm same on the boards. More like a wave as opposed to points. That way they dont have to aneal the whole edge the very small bends can be done with a hard edge.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

On snowcad I'd agree with the 1.5mm suggestion. 2mm is pretty big. My reverse side cut bump magnatraction is about 2mm and if that was 5 point it would look like a lib tech skate banana but worse.
It all depends on the rest of the board too. A soft flex full rocker is better with more severe magnatraction while a big stiff freeride board doesn't need much at all.
Your hybrid rocker 164 will already have 3 pressure points because of its camber profile. If it's a stiff deck they'll bite in hard.
Do you ride on a lot of hard icy conditions?
Print out a 1.5mm magnatraction from snowcad and look along it. If they look like 5 straight lines then that's about a mid level magnatraction if they look like 5 reverse sidecut bumps then that's a heavy magnatraction.