Split edges

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

macglide

Split edges

Post by macglide »

Hi,

I was just wondering why most of the big ski companies split their edges at the tip and the tail. Usually there are two small "cuts". I think they would have the possibilities to bend the edge as one piece, so there must be a reason, why they are doing this. Any ideas?

Cheers Domi
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

cause its much easier to fit the edges when you can cut it to length like that after bending. Also having a 4m length of edge flapping around while you bend it wouldnt be much fun
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Yeah, production cost. Some companies do one piece, but that drives up time/cost of production, for really no functional benefit, just aesthetics.
falls

Post by falls »

4FRNT claimed at one time that their 4 piece edge design reduced delamination.
Having a one piece wrap every hit on the tip of the ski pushed to some degree the whole of the edge piece backwards and the edge teeth act like a wedge between glass and base.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
macglide

Post by macglide »

Thanks, that makes sense. But I think a one piece edge could prevent delamination at tip an tail, because it distributes the impact a bit.
Boulderski

Post by Boulderski »

I also have heard that making cuts in the tip and tail helps prevent delamination... I am not sure the reason. I would think a solid tip rap would distribute impact and make tip stronger... Maybe its just easier for manufacturers.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I've done 1 piece, 2 piece and 3/4 wraps.

1 piece is a real pain, but looks nice, need a roll of coiled edge to do it, which is not easy to come by in small quantities.

2 piece full wrap is also a pain, looks nice but the edge can act like a splitting wedge between the base and glass with impact on the tip or tail.

3/4 wrap is lighter (about 1 oz for me usually), faster to bend, easier to bend, less annealed edge or potentially none depending on how you bend edges, still looks nice and decreases the splitting wedge effect, makes grinding easier also if your full edge wrap is not bent perfectly in plane.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com