virgin snowboard builder preparing to get layed

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

wapiti

virgin snowboard builder preparing to get layed

Post by wapiti »

Hey guys,

For about a year now i have been grinding the idea of building my first snowboard. My plans for a vacuum press are finished and the materials are on their way.

Since this is my first board i'll be making i have no clue at all on how to specify the core profile. So this is why i'm asking the almighty Skibuilders for advice.

I based my design on the K2 fastplant. I'm going with a flatbase with a smooth rocker to tip transition spread across a running length of 151cm in combination with 24cm wide underfoot and 29cm at the contact points

Now the hardest part, the core profile. I was thinking about horizontaly laminating bamboo. I found a dealer who can deliver 3mm thick bamboo veneer either side pressed or plain pressed. I would go with 3mm profile thickness in tip and tail and 7mm under foot.

i'll wrap this core in 2 sheets of 22oz triax fibreglass and finish it off with a ptex sintered base and clear topsheet along with some edges, sidewalls and rubber.

I'll be using an epoxy sold by junksupply: CLR/CLS Allround epoxy

I might add some carbon strips under foot if you guys would recommend it.

I'm hoping for a playfull medium flex board.

Any feedback, warnings or tips for this setup/layup?

thanks alot in advance.

I will be posting some cad file pics from the board later in the afternoon
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

3mm tip and tail is just added wait you don't need, it also is where you don't want it, you'll lose that playful feel you are looking for.
You probably won't need much if any carbon fiber with those specs either.
Vertical laminated bamboo is also the preferred option over horizontal lami.
wapiti

Post by wapiti »

Thanks for the feedback. how much would you recommend in tip and tail? narrow it down to 1mm or 2mm?

I went with the horizontal lami because the veneer was the only type of bamboo he sold. but i'll see if i can find any other dealers
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

for the first board nothing really matter.
It mentioned here million times go simple, find the cheapest hardwood around, here usually popular btw . Good option to begin with. Just keep moving forward pick somebody example from the journals and follow.
Read everything on this board and make notes what related to what you doing AT THIS TIME.

And most importantly: K.I.S.S method's best when starting out

read more ask less and you will be better off and less confusion because everybody doing things slightly different so you will get different advise on same issue
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison