Top sheet - non peelable

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Gilo

Top sheet - non peelable

Post by Gilo »

I have just got some top sheet material and my supplier forgot to mention that it was of the non peelable variety.

I plan on pressing with it this weekend coming. In my experience thus far there is always a bit of bleed of resin onto the top sheet as the vacuum is applied. If this occurs it will spoil the finish of the topsheet and the graphic I have underneath.

Is there anyway I can avoid this?

Thanks folks

Gilo
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

masking tape
Doug
Gilo

Post by Gilo »

Genius - thanks
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

If you overlap the tape you make get an imprint in the topsheet (probably not as likely if you're just vacuuming, ~14psi isn't much).

Decal application tape is another option, and you could do it with one piece.
infinityskis

Post by infinityskis »

plastic wrap works too !! you might get wrinkles if you don't smooth it out though
falls

Post by falls »

school book covering adhesive plastic from an offic supply store works ok too (aka contact, aka sticky backed plastic)
But vinyl application tape as twizz says is best with heat
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
Acka

Post by Acka »

You can buy 18" wide rolls of contact paper at any of the big box stores. I got some at homedepot and then cut it into 3x 6" wide rolls. I use it on top of the top-sheet and on bottom of the base (after putting edges on). Any resin that gets to the outside of the layup just peels off with the paper when you're done. And you don't have to worry about overlaps/gaps with running multiple strips of masking tape.