Contoured base profile

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Jon Quarrie

Contoured base profile

Post by Jon Quarrie »

Has anyone out there played around with putting intentional shape/contour into the base of a ski or board? And if so how did you go about it? I'd love to make something on the line of the Asmo boards see www.asemo.at

I've made a few boards with and without bindings with nice flat bases but I think making something like this would be an awesome challenge... And sweet to ride on the deep days. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

There is a bit of messing around to do it but its definately possible, you just need a 3d mould and a big wide bladder, press with no cat track.
Not sure if vac would be strong enough.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

I think I would have to ride a board with a 3d base first and if it was awesome I'd give it a go. I already press with a huge bladder and no cat track so wouldn't be too hard but its the finishing that would suck. How do you grind it, even scraping wax off would be a pain.
JukeSnowboarding

Post by JukeSnowboarding »

These guys do it and Ive seen their boards in person they are pretty neat.

http://www.gilsonboards.com/technology
Jon Quarrie

Post by Jon Quarrie »

Thanks guys, I have a few ideas on the mould that I'm going to play with. Any ideas on where to look for a bladder the full width of a board? Those Gilson boards look interesting too..thanks for that
falls

Post by falls »

you can do it with a cat track, just need to make a 3D mold and then shape the core to accommodate the 3D mold shape so the top of the ski/board is still flat. either that or mill a 3D bottom mold and 3D top cassette layer.
Big bladder and no cat track prob easier.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Jon Quarrie wrote:Thanks guys, I have a few ideas on the mould that I'm going to play with. Any ideas on where to look for a bladder the full width of a board? Those Gilson boards look interesting too..thanks for that
Depends what area you are in.
We got quite a few options here in Perth Australia who sell it by the meter.
loganimlach

Post by loganimlach »

That Gilson board looks terrifying
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

I hear ya.....there stiffer board is a f&@kin noodle. The soft one is like paper. Check the flexingg video
Jon Quarrie

Post by Jon Quarrie »

Well I made a board with a 3D base profile and it works perfectly, rides great without bindings in a few inches of fresh snow. If I could only figure out how to upload photos onto here I could show it to you. I'm more of a practical guy than an IT guy!
falls

Post by falls »

Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Photobucket...... Then copy image. Then hit the img button on skibuilders post option (above where u type). Then paste the photo below that
Jon Quarrie

Post by Jon Quarrie »

Jon Quarrie

Post by Jon Quarrie »

gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

email them to witachan
at
hotm*:&dotcom