First Board, Close to Starting

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mack41

First Board, Close to Starting

Post by mack41 »

Hey all,

Quick intro: I've been snowboarding for a long time and have been itching to build a board for a few years now. Looking for some tips on horizontal layups.

I'm looking to make a powder board to use at Jay Peak, and have decided on a horizontal layup. My inspiration is a PowderJet like snowboard (sorry, can't link yet).

For construction I'm building like 333skis does using Baltic Birch like in a skateboard or longboard. I'm looking to do Ptex-Baltic Birch-19oz Fiberglass-Baltic Birch-Baltic Birch. I'm using West Systems 105 epoxy with 206 hardener. Trying to keep it with some play and not too stiff or heavy. I was planning on just using polyurethane on the top after staining the wood nice. Currently I do not have plans for sidewalls and would love some suggestions; would a coat of wood glue be sufficient for my purposes?

This weekend my coworker is taking me to his former lab to use their CNC machine to cut MDF for my mold. He has made ski's before and another former coworker makes his own boards. They have been great resources thus far but if anyone has any tips about horizontal layups, especially similar to this, I'm all ears. If anyone could point me to the best adhesive for vacuum bags that would be awesome (a putty of some sort). I remember seeing a 3m product on the forums but forgot to bookmark the page and can't for the life of me find it again.

Another question I have is if I can press my Baltic Birch and Fiberglass together, cut out my shape, then press it into the Ptex. I know it adds a step but I'm thinking it could help with lining things up plus if the board needs more stiffness I can add a layer of fiberglass between the Ptex and Birch.

I have an alpine board for groomers and a directional board for most days, just looking for a good fun project and my main goal is something that stays together for a season.

I've dug through the forums a good deal but if any of my questions have already been answered I'm sorry for reposting.

Thanks for reading![/img]
Huck Pitueee

Post by Huck Pitueee »

To be on the safe side use a wood dye as opposed to oil based stain for a good bond.
Huck Pitueee

Post by Huck Pitueee »

And Fiberglass Hawaii sells vac bag by the yard in tube form so you just slide mold in and seal end. fast and less chance of a fud up. They also make a great and cheeper copy of west epoxy. I use alignment pins that go into the mold so everything is perfect. Wax on the pins allows them to come out.
RYM Experimentals

Post by RYM Experimentals »

Fiberglass Supply up in Washington is where I get a lot of my materials, they have all the vacuum supplies you need and have some good triax glass as well as a bunch of hybrid fabrics. They are really helpful if you email with questions and get the materials to you quick. I use the yellow vacuum tape rather than the grey, it seems to stick a little better to the aluminum sheet that I use in my press.