New to the game

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

TS656577

New to the game

Post by TS656577 »

Hey everyone.  First post here. I'm still reading so apologize if I missed some of this information in a sticky elsewhere.

Just on a whim the other day, I was thinking, "How awesome would it be to make your own skis?"  So I began searching and discovered this site.  I currently have a set of Armada AR7s. From what I've been reading, a lot of the home built skis on here are for more all mountain or powder.  I'd like to try something more park oriented.  That being said, I know some design ideas and methods/materials can be taken from the other threads on here.  My boss (aka wife) probably thinks this is a stupid idea so I'd like to keep the cost reasonable.  A happy wife is a happy life right? 

I know the design features I'd like.  I haven’t found a ski that 100% fits what I want which is how this idea popped into my head.  I want the ski to be playful and able to butter and be rideable in what little powder we get here in south central PA, a rocker/camber/rocker ski.  I had considered the idea of a bamboo core but at the risk of cost and availability, I'd probably considered another type of wood.  I had also thought of CK stringers from tip to tail.  Would additional strength be needed near the bindings for extra strength such as a 3rd stringer that extends a little past the binding on either side?

As far as layup, I'd like tip spacers and cap/sidewall because of using it in the park (nothing big, just rails and small jumps).  I'd have to use a vacuum to press the resin through since I A) do not want to spend the money on a press nor have access to one that I know of and B) pretty sure the wife would not like having a press laying around anyway.

I'm open to any and all suggestions since I've been brainstorming for a few days now.  So if you have any ideas or suggestions on core materials or the placement of stringers to keep the ski light and playful yet able to withstand some park abuse, I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks everyone, and until then I will keep reading!
Idris

Post by Idris »

First off, keep things simple, very simple with the first pair -
-you are on the right track with vacuum, serch our Davide's build threads - very simple methodology - I built my first 20 pairs this way.
As for design copy, or at least base your design on something that you know works.
When you have created and tested a psir of skis that work, then start playing with the variables, and only change things a bit at a time, don't go all experimental straight out the gate, a good many of us have made that mistake, learn form our mistake and try not to repeat them.
As for core, I'd go with a fir plank for the first pair, no sidewalls or tipspacers - just put plenty of epoxy on your binding screws and you will be fine.
Many people have spent many 1000's$ to get to their first pair - if you try you can keep the cost of basic skis to under a 100$ a pair.
Once you have a shap/flex that you like then you can get all fancy with topsheet, sidewalls , stringers in the core etc.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

looks like the ar7s are a park shape so great place to start would be to copy those dims, just make thinner core profile in the tip and tail for your butter zones.
Cap=not very durable also tough to do if you use the best topsheeet, nylon. If you go to the ski shop you will see all the big mountain skis have switched to a semi cap construction, cap tip and tail and sidewall underfoot and stretched out into the edge bashing zones. Keep it simple. This is not cheap to do anything. If you dont have a wood shop or a bunch of tools already better start saving up or borrow stuff from your friends.
Work late at night after the boss is in bed and she wont know how much time and effort you are putting into your hobby.
Park skis are generally made mostly of poplar with maple stringers spaced for the bindings and all the way into the tips.
Read the site, copy and paste all the good details into a doc and build yourself a reference manual and then categorize it and all your questions will be answered with 12 different ways to skin these cats and when you get stuck you can crack it open and get going again. thats how I did it. Start from the oldest posts By the time you are done you will have built 10 different pair in your head. Should only take a few months. Cheapest way(other than ordering enough for 100 pair) to do this is to order enough materials for 10 pair or so, but enough material for 5 is more realistic. Prolly run you $1200 in materials for 5 pair at max.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
RYM Experimentals

Post by RYM Experimentals »

Welcome to your new addiction! As others have said, keep it simple on the first set, you'll probably only end up riding them a handful of times anyway before your off on the next build. Start with a vacuum press, I'm on my 3rd iteration of a vacuum press and I've made 50 boards so far using vacuum, they hold up fine as long as you get a good vacuum. Hook an Hg gauge to your press and you should be pulling 28+ Hg.

The vacuum press we are using now is adjustable which makes it real easy to change the tip/tail bend, try different cambers and change the length without building a new mold every time. You can build a good one for around $500 if you go with a cheap vacuum pump. Harbor Freight has a fair pump for around $125 or so.