Tricks to using precured triax sheets?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Huck Pitueee

Tricks to using precured triax sheets?

Post by Huck Pitueee »

Do you just cut it to fit inside of the edges of your base and call it good? Or mill a bit to fit the tangs of the edge. I'd hate to lose that glass for rock hits. Tahoe is rough these days!
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Huck,

I've not used pre-cured, but this would be my approach for the following reasons. I'm assuming it is quad-axial.

Layup:

Base/Edges
Wood veneer - cut to fit within the edge set
Bi-ax
Pre-cured fiber
Core

As you appreciate, this approach maximises the potential of the precured fibre. It is no longer forced to fold over the edge set. The bi-ax would merely be used to support the resin used to retain the edge set. I don't know how you make your cores, but I have noticed how the small sets of stringers are used to support the edge in a snowboard - orientation at 90 degrees. This may well be the additional effect of adding bi-ax, depending on the wieght of the bi-ax used.

Hope this helps man.
Last edited by Richuk on Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Huck Pitueee

Post by Huck Pitueee »

Ya.Thanks! I have veneer that's just right for the job. I think I'd skip the additional layer of glass since this backcountry split board needs to be light. Plus I used Saligna eucalyptus to support the edges. Bomber.