How did K2 turn ski vibration into electricty and light?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Slant

How did K2 turn ski vibration into electricty and light?

Post by Slant »

Hi,
Any thoughts on how K2 got the old Merlin VI's and the Fours to light up? It seems like all the materials needed to light up the skis is in the little raised box.
I should have bought a pair at the swap and peeled the box off. Anyone done this or willing to??
Thanks for your insights. :idea:
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

The brilliant plan would be to put that on some skis, and then when you come home from a long day on the hill you plug the skis in, and provide power to the electrical grid, thus saving the planet.

...off to kickstarter, brb
Slant

Post by Slant »

Of course, Piezoelectronics! Duh.

It was this sentence that really helped bring things to light for me.

"The piezoelectric effect is understood as the linear electromechanical interaction between the mechanical and the electrical state in crystalline materials with no inversion symmetry."
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

twizzstyle wrote:The brilliant plan would be to put that on some skis, and then when you come home from a long day on the hill you plug the skis in, and provide power to the electrical grid, thus saving the planet.

...off to kickstarter, brb
Hook up a USB port and charge your phone :D
Nick's Sticks

Post by Nick's Sticks »

Piezoelectric boot warmers!

I don't care if the light was a gimmick; I think it was ridiculous and rad.
"Powder days? Everyone loves powder days. You can ski powder days the rest of your life. I prefer ice, its faster." -Glen Plake
Skammy

Post by Skammy »

I still ride my K2 with the piezo lights :D
Cadman

Post by Cadman »

K2 had a slogan that said. "When it's blinkin' it's thinkin". The idea is not new. It was a circuit that would take vibration frequencies and convert it into electrical energy an dissipate it by lighting the LED. Later on, they figured out how to cancel out vibrations with placing dampening devices at calculated locations. If I remember correctly, they had a lot of warranty issues until they figured out what was going on. The kids would take the ski and slap it hard on a hard surface which would break the circuit and then turn it in for warranty. Those kids always figure out a way don't they. :D