clear cedar vs vertically laminated bamboo

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I've used douglas fir with maple and it made for great skis. I used maple under foot and sidewall and fir before/aft of the binding area. If you're want to go all fir it will make for a nice light ski. Use a 20 - 22 oz Triax FG.

Probably the only concern would be screw retention for the bindings, but IMO not a huge worry as long as bindings are properly mounted. Go for it.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Don't know about skis, but for snowboard binding inserts fir has enough beef to hold tight. If you're unsure about binding retention, maybe use quiverkiller inserts.
hegan

Post by hegan »

I'm going to go buy the fir tomorrow, for the bindings I'm going to lay down an extra layer of glass in the binding area.
sammer

Post by sammer »

I've used fir in a few skis.
With an extra layer of glass in the binding area.
I've never had a pull out but have stripped one screw with my drill/driver clutch set too high. Put a little epoxy in the hole, put the screw back in and so far no worries.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
Nick's Sticks

Post by Nick's Sticks »

I made a pair with vertically laminated cedar... Even with an extra layer of glass the bindings tore out before they touched snow. But they were nice and light. I like prefer spruce cores. I don't like the dust from bamboo; it is too itchy and seems to get past all my defenses.

I use screw in-inserts in every pair and have never had tear out with them. I think I got mine from Binding freedom. I like them better than helicoils.
"Powder days? Everyone loves powder days. You can ski powder days the rest of your life. I prefer ice, its faster." -Glen Plake