Woody top using the core?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

RYM Experimentals

Woody top using the core?

Post by RYM Experimentals »

So we are playing around with the idea of how to show off the core with a thin sheet of glass (5oz e-glass)/epoxy as the top sheet rather than using veneer. A test presses on a small scale has shown good results but we have to put all the glass under the core to make it work.

Has anyone done this? I looked around and didn't see anything. I'm worried that it will screw up the structural integrity of the sandwich if all of the supporting glass is under the core?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

If you put all of your main fiber under the core, with nothing on top but the 5 oz, you'll have a floppy noodle. You could do some testing, but you'll have to make your core very thick to make this work.

You might be surprised how clear even a 20oz triax layer can be. If it's not looking very clear, you may be squeezing out too much epoxy, or not putting enough down in the first place.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Cut a veneer using a bandsaw from the core block before profiling - layup as normal, using the core veneer as the topsheet ... maybe
Huck Pitueee

Post by Huck Pitueee »

I have a nice core that I want to do the same with. I plan to do some testing with 4 layers of 4 oz glass using Fiberglass Hawaii 2 to 1 aluzine epoxy. It's a great UV product that lays up very clear. You can buy some yardage and bias the layers how you want.
deepskis

Post by deepskis »

You need to have atleast one layer of triax on top. 20oz will be clear if you use enough epoxy. If you put a mylar releasefilm on top you will end up with a nice shiny finish.
Every turn is a sign of fear

www.deepskis.com