Timescale for Profiling core

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Leon87

Timescale for Profiling core

Post by Leon87 »

So i was wondering how long it takes everyone to profile their cores.

Im using the router method and it seems to take me an age due to having to slowly increase the depth. i.e - do a pass that takes of 1mm, then drop it to 2mm ect....
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Its better to take your time than rush it! You can start with deeper cuts, just shallow it out as you get near the end, and wince every time you get near the tips as you wait for the sidewalls to rip off.

The router is probably the slowest method, but even a planer takes time. It takes about 20-30 minutes for my CNC to profile two cores, and although I'm not doing the work, I still watch it like a hawk the whole time cause I don't trust it.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Never thought to check the time.
I use a 2 1/4 hp router an 1 1/2 inch wide bit and cut probably 2.5-3mm on my first few passes. then probably less than 1/2mm on my final passes.
Doesn't seem to take too long. I do both cores at the same time.
I think it takes longer to get them set up on the table and glued down.
I really need to build a vacuum table!

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Yes, having a vacuum table helps a lot when profiling cores! The design shown in this video is the best way to do it imo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOrkvPF0pro. Plus it's cheap since all you need is a couple of boards of particle board or mdf and a vacuum cleaner.
PTTR

Post by PTTR »

I have built skis for two seasons now and I improve my time on every pair. the first pair took about two weeks and the last pair took me exatly 12 hours from start to finish. (with 3 types of wood in the core)
I make 2 and somtimes three passes with my router but I make full woodcores which I screw down in the router crib so I don't have to worry about sidewalls falling off (I am working on a vaccum hold down) I belive i can make both cores in around 20 minuts this way but anyway its all the other things that take time in skibuilding. like cutting woodstrips, gluing them, planning them, rebuilding the press, bending edgesetc etc.

and last but not least - all of the hours spent on looking on a half finnished piece og material, thinking hmmm, maybe it would be faster/better to do it diffrently. Or not thinking anything, just looking at it trying to look like I'm thinking.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I use the planer/crib method. Takes 20-30min. I blow out any saw dust that might get under the cores every few passes.
falls

Post by falls »

Never trust machines twizz!
You saw The Terminator right? :)
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
RYM Experimentals

Post by RYM Experimentals »

I have my profiling process down to about 20 minutes per core for snowboards. I use a 13" planer with a long jig that we made with 5.5mm of rise on one end and pull 1/2 mm per pass. This lets the wood bend down into the jig as it thins out. Our boards come out pretty nice with this method but we're always looking for improvements so if you got one, share please.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

when i had access to a string of 3 dewalt 13" planers, and planer cribs cut on a cnc out of mdf, i was able to profile 60 core blanks in about 3 hours.
It would take 3-4 passes thru the chain of planers. You can only imagine how messy and noisy this was.

I havent profiled a core in a few years. Working on getting my cnc ready to do so.
Doug