Edge delamination

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

JoseSnow

Edge delamination

Post by JoseSnow »

This is my problem:
free photo hosting
-We dont know if we should sand the edges for bonding better or it would make it worst for bonding? This ones, we did sand them.

-In this ski we treid epoxy sidewalls and tip spacers. Maybe they dont absorb the impact enery the edge receives.

- Maybe we are using to much super glue so the edge doesnt hold to well because to little amount of epoxy can hold it?

- Or maybe we just need something like kevlar string so we can join both edges sides so they hold in the same pósition dont leting them open.

Pleas tell me your thoughts!
ProbsMagobs

Post by ProbsMagobs »

Some people have had issues with this because edges weren't clean. I would make sure your edges get wiped down with a clean rag before attaching them to the base and try keeping from touching them with bare hands after that. The oils in your hands so epoxy doesn't bond. Also only use a small drop of super glue every 3-4 edge teeth. Head to the happy monkey wiki for more info
falls

Post by falls »

the fact the edges can spring out like that would also suggest that maybe the edges weren't bent closely enough to the template (?) they should sit against the template/base material without needing to be clamped in place.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
JoseSnow

Post by JoseSnow »

When I bend them, they sit with the bases perfect. Then we glue them and after that we pre bend them. Could it be the pre bending is springing them out again??
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

not enough glue
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Hi,

the vertical pre-bending definitely lessens the horizontal bending a bit. Had it when i pre-bent the edges for the rise of the tail, was quite a small radius (vertically). Had to re-bend horizontally afterwards.

But with the wide radius that is usually used for pre-bending, it shouldn't have much affect.

My guess is on 1) unclean edges or 2) too much superglue:

1) Did you clean the edges after sanding them? The sanding dust prevents proper gluing.

2) superglue glues worse than epoxy. So if you have superglue everywhere, theres no place for epoxy any more.
At my current ski, I used 5minute epoxy instead of superglue (have a different way of attaching the edges to the base, will take some fotos and show you, no clamps at all).
I can already feel a big difference when handling the base with the glued edges now - no clicking noises when the glue "breaks" somewhere at all.

Gotta go to bed now, already answering in threads that are dead for over a year ;)
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

if you need to up-bend edges, you might want to bend up, then side, then up, a bunch of times while you're working on it. Or do the up bend first.

when you cut your edge, cut it such that a tooth sticks out farther than the square part of the edge, and make sure you're really getting epoxy saturated into each tooth gap.

If you're using rubber VDS type stuff, saturate both top and bottom of it because it's not porus.
Doug
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

pmg wrote: At my current ski, I used 5minute epoxy instead of superglue (have a different way of attaching the edges to the base, will take some fotos and show you, no clamps at all).
I can already feel a big difference when handling the base with the glued edges now - no clicking noises when the glue "breaks" somewhere at all.
would love to see this edge gluing setup.

I use 2p10 med or thin viscosity, as little as possible, especially near seams.

best way to get the glue to hold, is to handle the base as little as possible afterwords, and to have your edges bent exact, if you can hold an entire corner down with light pressure from 1 finger, then that's pretty good.
Doug
heuvlee

Post by heuvlee »

you could always try tying Kevlar thread to each edge.
i ordered some thread off the yard sale section from FigmentOriginal and cant wait to try this out