Cat Track Info

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

Richuk wrote:MR - you're definitely the guy I would ask!
8)
WhitePine

Post by WhitePine »

amidnightproject wrote:Just look at some photos.

Take square aluminum and cut it to the width you neeed. The drill holes at the end to run cable through.
Would you put rubber spacers between each length of square tube? It would reduce the amount of aluminum or steel needed and be able to flex better at the tip and tail curvature. Any reason not to do this?
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Your top sheet will be up and down as the rubber will compress and apply less pressure than the aluminium.
falls

Post by falls »

Noone seems to use spacers. Key in the tip/tail is to have small width pieces. 20mm square seems pretty good.
Square pieces aren't ideal because when forced into a curve they have gaps at the laminate and press together towards the airbags. We get away with these small gaps because we use the upper aluminium sheets on either side of the heat mat and the one on the top of the ski laminate - they distribute the force. I don't think rubber spaces would achieve much because they would fill the gaps but I don't think transmit the force very well.
I have often thought that trapezoid sectioned pieces would be best in the tip/tail as they would piece together perfectly when forced into a curve. However, 20x20mm square works well so don't over think it.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
gerryrig

Post by gerryrig »

I made my cat track out of 3/4 x 3/4 maple strung on 3/16 cable with a 1/4 nut for a spacer between each piece of maple works great.