ski tail protection

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

bullion mine

ski tail protection

Post by bullion mine »

Most skis have a tail piece that protects the tail from impact of standing the ski upright and has a notch for skin attachment. We are not sure what material to use and a design that would laminate well between the base and topsheet but also extend beyond to protect the tail from impact de-lamination. It is also important to have a notch for skin attachment.
We are playing around with using sidewall material or doubling up tip/tail spacers but this just does not seem right. If anyone has some good ideas on what material to use and a design for a tail piece I would love to hear it. I do not recall seeing this topic on any previous posts and did not have any luck with SEARCH.
Also I would like to thank all of you on this site. You are a great community. If not for you an old Colorado ski bum would not be making his own skis. I will try to post pics of what you all have helped create.
Thanks
Kurtis

/Users/kurthammann/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2012/Jan 16, 2012/IMG_2578.JPG
/Users/kurthammann/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2012/Jan 16, 2012/IMG_2579.JPG
/Users/kurthammann/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2012/Jan 16, 2012/IMG_2580.JPG/Users/kurthammann/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2012/Jan 16, 2012/IMG_2581.JPG
deepskis

Post by deepskis »

Looking for the same thing...
Every turn is a sign of fear

www.deepskis.com
feldybikes

Post by feldybikes »

I think PM Gear uses a piece of metal. I assume aluminum. Their site seems to be down right now, so I can't check there. I would think you could cut out a piece of aluminum the save thickness as your base and just use that. I'm guessing it would be easy to cut a sheet of Al with a jig saw in this thickness.

I've not tried this so I don' t know if it would work. If I were to do it, I would make sure that the tail spacer doesn't have the same seam with the core as the tail piece with the base.

This may be an awful idea. Caveat emptor.