mixed camber CAD design

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

vinman

mixed camber CAD design

Post by vinman »

Snowcad x is great and simple to use for horizontal measurement but it does not do camber design all that great. How are some of you coming up with some of the mixed camber designs? i.e something like the Rossi S7 or even flat camber with early tip or tail rise like the Volkl Katana.

Or am I just missing something in snowcad?

I have dl'd draftsight and I can export a dxf from snowcad and open it there but it only exports the Hz dimms and I haven't figured out how to alter designs in draftsight yet either.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

snocad's camber functions are not ideal for designing camber profiles. Take the camber in a snocad file and drag it so its pretty drastic like 3-6", you'll see it doesnt blend into the tips anymore, there's no tangency.

I do mine in a program called ViaCad. Its 99 bucks and works pretty darn good for simple 2D and 3D cadding. Then i import the dxf into a program called Aspire, which, well that's like a 3500 dollar program. But any cheap CAD program should have enough features for you to make simple enough curves that you can come up with a bottom mold profile.
Doug
Drew

Post by Drew »

I just make the tip and tail arcs massive and then draw the tip and tail curves with an arc tool by hand.
WhitePine

Post by WhitePine »

I agree. SnoCAD is great for what it is but it really needs to be updated to accommodate more geometry. I started with a basic design in Snocad and then moved over toSolidworks to finish the design. I use it for work so I have access to a license. But from what I can tell you could use draftsight or Google sketchupto do the same thing. Its just frustrating as hell to learn a new CAD system after you are used to one. Draftsight seems ok but Google Sketchup was not intuitive. Its hard to dial in precise dimensions and let the numbers constrain the design.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

I really like solidworks for this.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
vinman

Post by vinman »

As a potential work around, would increasing the tip/tail length and radius along with decreasing the running length accomplish a basic mixed camber bottom mold shape?

something like a 400mm tip 1175mm running length and a 275mm tail with huge tip/tail radii around 2000mm?

the general shape looks right but i'm not sure about how these numbers compare to other designs.

any input from the masses would be helpful.
Drew

Post by Drew »

i made my last ski this way(400mm tip) and i did a radius less than 2000 and it was a little too low. so i think something like 1500-1100 would be a better range. However even though it seemed low I still couldnt make the tip dive no matter how hard i pressed on the tongue of my boot in a ft of fresh snow.
vinman

Post by vinman »

right on Drew thanks for the info. on the radius size. Now I need to play with this some more.
Alex13

Post by Alex13 »

I use SolidWorks as well.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I think I now have a method for using snowcad X to create just about any profile without using another CAD program. It requires 2 separate files for each design. These must be manually combined on paper as there is no way to do it in the computer with only 1 SnowCADx file.

first design your camber profile by elongating the tip and tail and shortening the running lengths. The adjust your running length camber to what ever you want and elongate/flatten the tip/tail curves drastically.
This profile should only be used for your bottom mold/camber. Totally ignore the horizontal shape profile dimms.

Now create a new profile with the horizontal shape dimensions of your ski as usual and ignore the camber profile.

The combination of these printed profiles can then be used to create just about any shape/camber combo you can dream up without learning and using a separate and more complex CAD program.

I was trying to do this with just one snowcad file but the shape became very distorted and limited with the elongated tip and tail dimms. So after thinking about it, it occurred to me that 2 separate files, 1 for mold only and another for the ski dimms, should work better.

Does anyone see a problem in my thinking here as long as you pay close attention to the mold and ski lengths so that they match up? Was that totally obvious to everyone else but me? I do tend to be somewhat dense at times...

Let me know what you think.
webboy

Post by webboy »

@Vinman: This is exactly the idea that I came up with. Worked fine for my first rocker/camber/rocker design, (which I haven't been working on at all since fall, to be honest.)