When topsheets fail.. Help solve the mystery!

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

strangesnowboarding

Post by strangesnowboarding »

i am sot sure if u said weather u were using heat or not.

i had the topsheets fail on every board that i pressed when i was not using heat.
i tried both sides, flame treatment, cleaning, sanding, everything.
as soon as got the blankets up and running, same topsheet, same epoxy, hardcore bond.

just my .02
kipi

Post by kipi »

thanks for the answers

im not using heat O_o

is it good to put a heat blanket only on one side of the board during layup?
(im using vaccum so i cant have blanket on both sides)

kipi
feldybikes

Post by feldybikes »

I have a related problem so I thought I'd post in this thread. If it's more appropriate to start a new one, let me know and I'll do that.

I used clear plastic topsheets that appeared to have stuck reasonably well in most places, but more or less not at all in others. When I cut off the flash, they chipped and delammed at the tips and tails. (Well, I don't know if you can call it a delam if it never really laminated all that well in the first place ;) ) 1 day out on 'em and a bunch more chipped off. This is pair number #1 for me, so I don't really know what the cause was. And really, I don't care that much right now (though I will have to go back and reread this more carefully since I'd like to solve the problem for the future).

What I would like to do is to peel the topsheets off and just urethane the tops. Does anyone have suggestions of and efficient way to peel off the rest of the topsheets?