Poor Boyz Revolver Ski Layup

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

falls

Poor Boyz Revolver Ski Layup

Post by falls »

Hi everyone
Just got the new Poor Boyz film. The intro is a stylised look at layup of skis. I think probably at Salomon (?).
Anyway a bit pause and rewind and maybe get a few ideas.
Their edge bender looks badass!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG4hfNls31k
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

worth it. thanks
falls

Post by falls »

The hydraulic positioning of the top mold to allow easy loading is a good feature. As is their milled cassettes and allignment system.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I've been wanting to make a tip-bender like that for a while, possibly using parts from my failed band-saw profiling jig. Would make layup in the mold much easier if the tips were pre-bent. (I'm talking about bending the base/edges together, not the edge bender).

Anybody know what kind of glue they're using to glue the edges on? When I worked at K2 I noticed they did that too, but I never asked what kind of glue it was. Almost looks like contact cement? I can't imagine that is wood glue? Definitely different from the "standard" home builder method of super glue. Kevin (kevywevy) laid up a ski at my place last weekend and only did a dot of superglue every 6-8 inches or so, and in between there the edges got pushed out. Ski ruined :(

powderho

Post by powderho »

Cool vid. Thanks for the link. Sort of some surprising methods they use. Maybe this is how they do more of their prototypes and big skis. I would have thought they stamped out their base material, not finish the sidewalls with a hand router, and not attach the edges with glue before hand. Whatever.

I was checking out the new Salomons today at the Bird. They look so much better than the Czars or Rockets. I can't remember the name of them but they did say "rocker^2" on them. The tip and tail rise looked awesome. A nice continuous radius with the end kicked up just a bit. No bent-ski rocker there.
falls

Post by falls »

Yep Rocker 2 I think is right.
I have a feeling the video is prob the prototyping "lab". Pretty nice toys to have access to!
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

That was K2 in Seattle.
OAC

Post by OAC »

twizzstyle wrote: Kevin (kevywevy) laid up a ski at my place last weekend and only did a dot of superglue every 6-8 inches or so, and in between there the edges got pushed out. Ski ruined :(
I use this one: http://www.titebond.com/ProductLineTB.a ... &prodcat=3
No problems for me. And I dot every 15 cm (~6 inch)
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

well, that titebond stuff actually is super-glue (cyanoacrylate). just in a consistency that's more usable for wood. ;)
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Shame - I would dot every 7 or 8 tooth, every 3 or 4 when gluing the tips.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

I dot every third tooth or so on running length, and every tooth on tip and tail.

Salomon can suck hairy balls.
feldybikes

Post by feldybikes »

The skiing wasn't bad, either. ~4:24 there's the pillow line from hell. Of course, it's just flipped over rather than ridden, but still cool.
gketcham

Post by gketcham »

Iggy you said that factory is K2? speaking of edge benders, does anyone know how Moment bends the edges to squared off tips?
falls

Post by falls »

I don't think they do
Pretty sure moments have 3/4 wrapt tip and tail
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

gketcham wrote:Iggy you said that factory is K2? speaking of edge benders, does anyone know how Moment bends the edges to squared off tips?
Yeah that is K2's prototype factory at their Seattle HQ. I was able to get a tour of it a few years ago. It was pretty cool.

And Moment doesn't bend the edges in their tips - they do a 3/4 wrap as stated above.