"hexcel" aluminium cores

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

grace ski

"hexcel" aluminium cores

Post by grace ski »

Has anyone invested in the HEXCEL cores? The aluminum core referred to as CRIII – 1/8-5052-.002-8.1
The Hexcel skis in the 70's really did a nice job. I remember the foam in the 80's but it never took off and everyone is back to vertical wood cores.

Anythoughts??
plywood

Re: "hexcel" aluminium cores

Post by plywood »

those were aluminium honeycomb, right?

i built a skateboard with honeycomb sandwich stuff. it was aramid-honeycomb though... but anyway. the thing with honeycomb is: it`s not made for bending. it`s super stable if you build stiff planks, but as you flex it it gets complicated. in my skateboard the cells collapsed as i bent it too much.
i did the same on a ski, in tip and tail. there i used a wooden "frame" around the cells and didn`t experience any problems... but the weight gain wasn`t that much either. and tip and tail generally don`t get bent too much unless you crash...
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
grace ski

good take

Post by grace ski »

I dont think they are worth the trouble...not enough gain in weight loss, or integrity.

Thanks for the input
Alex13

Post by Alex13 »

I've wondered about the aluminium honeycombs for their damping properties. I think if you were going for weight loss you'd be better off looking at Nomex cardboard style honeycomb for the cores though.
grace ski

cores

Post by grace ski »

I looked into the Nomex cores. I hope to get a sample sent out. I wonder if anyone has pressed and skied a ski with them?
Alex13

Post by Alex13 »

I don't know about skis, but Palmer uses Nomex in their snowboards. My housemate has the Palmer Honeycomb, it's a fantastic board and so light.

My uni has masses of the stuff in excess, I'm planning on stealing some before I finish up this year.
Skammy

Post by Skammy »

I did a board with the over expanded nomex so it could still flex.. it turned out to be too flexible but only 6lbs or so