To make a durable park ski

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

ilis

To make a durable park ski

Post by ilis »

Hi. Im going to make a pair of park skis this winter. The majority on this site makes backcountryskis but as im mostly skiing park i think its the best way to get the most fun of it.

However, a park ski gets a lot more punishment while skiing as supposed than a backcountry ski. Bottoming jumps with icy landings, RAILS and so on. I would be pleased to get some advice in what i have to think about to design a ski that can meet these challenges. Things that i should do and avoid.

Best regards / Lars
L.I
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Careful about saying park is more fun than backcountry, you might get labeled a park rat ;)

For homemades there are a few things you'll want to think about for a park ski. Your sidewalls will take a lot of abuse (cut up from the other ski's edge, etc) so whatever you do for sidewalls, you want to make sure they're bonded well, and good and hard.

Also you want to make sure your base is cut nice and smooth for the edges, any gaps between the edge and base will increase your chance of cracking the edge, or losing sections of it. Other than that, there isn't much special about park skis.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

running a strip of kevlar tape the length of the edges will help strengthen the sidewall and edge.

I am doing that now on a few different boards.
falls

Post by falls »

you could look at getting thicker edge and base material if you are riding rails.