bamboo side wall or just leave the core

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mitch

bamboo side wall or just leave the core

Post by mitch »

I was wondering what would work best if I put a 6 or 10 mm bamboo sidewall or just leave my bamboo core as it is. Just thinkin if the sidewall gets damaged water moisture has to travel through a layer of epoxy before it can reach my core. Or I just let me core run to the edges and hope the bamboo doesnt delam. what do most people do with bamboo cores who dont use p-tex sidewalls
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

is it the same kind of bamboo?

if the outer strip of the bamboo is pretty solid, i'd just leave it, no sidewall.

i'm gonna use bamboo sidewalls cuz i'm using a poplar core. But if my entire core were bamboo, or if the outer strips were, then you're probably gonna end up with a stronger "sidewall" that's part of the core if you dont bother with attaching another strip as the sidewall.
Doug
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

My skis have vertically laminated bamboo cores with UHMW sidewalls. I'm in the process of building a couple more skis, this time using Macaranduba (Brazilian redwood) decking boards for the sidewalls. This rainforest hardwood is about as tough as UHMW but it cuts, sands, and bonds like wood because it is wood. It also adds structural integrity to the core unlike plastic sidewalls. It is commonly used as decking and left unfinished. It is unaffected by moisture and I believe it will make a fine sidewall.

If you consider having bamboo side walls, I would machine an offset sidecut radius on the bamboo cores, then glue on strips of bamboo as sidewall blocks. This way you minimize the open grain of the material, basically no end grain exposed to the elements. Of course you must use P-tex tip and tail filler too.

Cheers,
-S
bobbyrobie

Post by bobbyrobie »

SHIF,

how much does that decking material run for ?
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

bobbyrobie wrote:
how much does that decking material run for ?
I bought nominal 1x4 planks for $2.30 per linear foot. Twelve feet is plenty to make sidewall blocks for 4 skis.

These measure 3/4 x 3 1/2 inches. I ripped them into strips 5/8 inch wide with a strip left over to make into stirring sticks. Use a ripping blade.

This wood has very straight and tight grain. I solvent wipe the faying surfaces on the woods prior to spreading Titebond type 3 glue.

Cheers,
-S
Skierguy

Post by Skierguy »

SHIF,

I am very intrigued by the possibility of using macaranduba as a side wall. Have you had any trouble with warping or twisting in your experience with it? I have had the unfortunate experience of working with it on a deck. I had a lot of trouble with the wood warping and twisting after it was installed. It was to bad enough to start shearing the stainless steel screws. Also how does it accept glue?
That was one of my more spectacular Da Dunt, Da Dunts� Aaron McGovern �Focused
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

Skierguy wrote:... Have you had any trouble with warping or twisting in your experience with it? ... Also how does it accept glue?
No warping or twisting. I thought for sure that the narrow strips I ripped from a 1x4 would warp but they stayed very straight.

I solvent wiped the gluing surfaces on both the sidewall strips and core, then used Titebond type 3 adhesive. This is a cross linking glue that holds the Macaranduba very well.

No issue at all during profiling. I've had trouble with UHMW staying bonded while planing the tapers but this hardwood is solidly bonded to the bamboo cores.

Be sure to use a ripping blade and some feather boards on your table saw fence because this is very dense hardwood to cut.

Cheers,
-S