cutting tail off ski and sealing it?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

wilcox510

cutting tail off ski and sealing it?

Post by wilcox510 »

I'm interested in cutting off the twintip tail of some pre-existing skis, problem is how to seal or finish the ski after you cut the tail off so it doesn't delam etc. No epoxy that I know seems to stick well enough for this sort of thing? Anyone have any good ideas? For an idea of what I want to do check this out. (correction, since I'm new here it won't allow me to link to a website but if you go to tetonat dot com and search for "cutting tail" you find a blog article demonstrating this)
burny

Post by burny »

i've cut my 0506 (?, the all black ones) gotamas and sealed them with usual epoxi … no issues until now. they became my rockskis over the years but still work fine, no delam whatsoever. somewhere on this site must be some pics. in the quiver thread on tgr is a pic, too.
endre

Post by endre »

there are several topics for this, search for them.
ridejad

Post by ridejad »

well if i where you i would buy some extra tip fill and cut the twin tip off then hollow out some of the materials about an inch into the ski then slide the tip fill in and add epoxy and trim off excess