Skis... with a TWIST!

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

poikenz

Skis... with a TWIST!

Post by poikenz »

Skis that come out twisted. I know this is a fairly common issue that people have and I know how to avoid the issue, but what I don't know is how do skis with a twist ride? Horribly, right?

I had the brilliant idea to mold a pair in an old school x-country style press for some reason, didn't really work but the natural early rise is beautiful. One ski came out with a 7mm twist in it, not sure what the issue was as it was so long ago but if I had to guess I would blame the core and the post cure. One of my friends suggested that I try them out, but I'd have to grind the bases, edges, and finish the veneer topsheets on them first. I don't want to put the effort in for a single run of "yep, they are awful".

So if any of you have experience on twisted skis please let me know.
Here is a picture of the M. Night Shyamalan's:
twist2.jpg
twist2.jpg (179.37 KiB) Viewed 2704 times
mammuth

Re: Skis... with a TWIST!

Post by mammuth »

Mount a binding, ride it and tell us ;)
Tom
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

My early builds had a little twist, maybe 5 mm or so. I just skied on them anyway and don't think it really mattered. I was more interested in learning the craft and empirically deriving my composite recipes and ski shapes. I traced the source of the twist to a wonky lower steel I-beam in my press frame. Should have bought a heavier section steel beam when building my press but was going cheap not knowing if the whole ski building experience was going to work out.
After dialing in my process I upgraded the lower I-beam to a much heavier cross section. Found a local fabricator with plenty of stock. They let me cherry pick the beam I wanted. They cut it to length, drilled the necessary holes to my sketch, delivered it to my house, and hauled off my old beam; all for dirt cheap. I made all new forms and templates and started to build really nice skis, check out my journal.

-Shif
JSquare

Post by JSquare »

Someone needs to make a "send it!" emoji.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Any twist I’ve seen is from wonky handmade molds. Once all of my tip/tail and camber were cut on the cnc any slight twist was eliminated.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

I would definitely ride them. You'd be amazed how many similar defects are in retail skis/boards and they are still sold in stores.

Even if you can feel the twist in one ski, your skiing will probably adapt to it pretty quickly.
rnordell

Post by rnordell »

Sounds like a pair of Elan Amphibio's... https://elanskis.com/eu/mens-skis/all-mountain/amphibio