Gamma SL

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

SCHÜSS

Gamma SL

Post by SCHÜSS »

last night at approx 1am 30th of april 2007 we finally put the first gamma sl into the press.

It was great to be finally doing the layup that i have been thinking and talking about for so long. It was also the first time i have used the 22oz triaxial fibreglass (usually use ud glass) and when i first got it out of the box i remember saying "man, this thing isnt a fabric, its a rug!'. ahh the good times.

Even though i have mentioned this in the design thread i will say it again for those who arnt so aware.

Our Project, the 'ΓGAMMA SL' as we named it is our 3rd ski that we have built. Hence the greek letter/word for '3' in the name.
The aim of the poject was to build a slalom ski with the aim of carving on ice and hard pack conditions.

Dimensions are as followss

Tip: 116mm
Waist: 65mm
Tail: 100m
Radius: 14m

Tip core thickness: 2mm
Waist core thickness: 10mm
tail core thickness: 2mm
press camber: 15mm
Total length: 165cm
tip hieght 50mm
Tail height: 0mm
tail style: race stock spade.
weight: TBA
overall thickness under foot: TBA but should be about 14/15mm

layup

natural topsheet from sb.com
Carbon fibre
Carbon fibre
22oz triaxial fibreglass sb.com
tasi maple wood core, vertically laminated with red ptex sidewalls
22oz triaxial fiberglass sb.com
6oz UD fibreglass
6oz UD fibreglass
Kevlar
Kevlar orientated at 60º
base and edges.

A full vid will be posted soon. here are some pics of the press.

about the press

It is clamp in nature. The mold is made out of MDF ribs built to the camber specification of the project. so it coveres 165cm and 15mm camber. As we are not really into building twinnies, their is only one tip mold built also out of MDF. All of this sits on a nice T-frame girder.

Ontop of the mold is 2mm thick alluminium sheet which coveres the ribs.

Then the ski is layed up and is then covered with another 2mm alluminium sheet.

A long piece of pine is then used to help distribute pressure more evenly.

the pressure is then put down by 17 symmetrical angle steel sections all pushed down by 15mm bolts. And then a similar contraption for the tip.

The whoel thing is then covered by a custom wood frame with tarpolen, a heated fan is then inserted in one end providing the pressing 'chamber' with an internal air temp of 70ºc.

Here are some pics.

This is the press. (not pressurized)

here is the top of the press with the ski base being glued on.
Here is the heated chamber built to cover the press

making the ski from the template, a 07' fischer sl.
Laminating the sidewalls on. (one at a time)
This thumbnail is of the core, tho i poseted it in the other thread.

Thats all the pics i have for now, we filmed most of it so i will have to briefly edit it first before i can post it. The ski is still in the press as it hasnt been 24hr yet. So i will keep you posted!

schuss
SCHÜSS 2011
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

SCHUSS:

nice work. i can't wait to see the results. i like your clamp press -- it looks like it'll work. btw, i also like the K2's in the background.
SCHÜSS

Post by SCHÜSS »

ok results are in!

The press worked Perfect!!!! no air bubbles, nothing. it was great. I will post some pics soon but i got to do the finish properly.

The bases are flat, the topsheet as i said has no bubbles and the tip is great. the core is aligned which is good. now as for the flex and torsional stiffness.

it couldnt be more perfect!

I am abseloutly stoked and amazed with the design. It has more torsional stiffness than the 07 fischer WC SL and Nordica Doberman WC SLR.

Flex pattern is even throughout the ski and most of all it has rebound. or 'pop'. It has so much pop it makes the racestock fischer seem like a granny when you flex it by hand. Simply awesom.

Now i just have to wait 40days to see how they ski.

So i crossed a line with my many layers and a clamp press. I achieved through research exactly the properties i wanted in the ski. IF the finish on the sidewalls comes up as well as i am hoping then i couldnt have asked for more.

Thank you skibuilders.com

schuss
SCHÜSS 2011
Cadman

Post by Cadman »

Congratulations, Looks like you are in for some fun.

Let us know how it performs.
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

SCHÜSS: any photos of your skis? would love to see them.
SCHÜSS

Post by SCHÜSS »

Here i am testing the flex of our new ski

Here i am testing the torsional strength of the new ski

More flex testin:P

here you can see the layup a little. With the edges on the bottom, then the kevlar and glass and then the red sidewall then more glass and carbon and then the topsheet.

Here the ski is just sitting upside down showing the bases.

Here is a better look at the ski before we did the final finishing on them

Hey guys sorry it took so long. We had some delays with uni work and all.

schuss
SCHÜSS 2011
SCHÜSS

Post by SCHÜSS »

Here are some more pics with the plate sitting on it, not yet mounted tho.

schuss
SCHÜSS 2011
plywood

Post by plywood »

huh, there seems to be a bug - i can`t see none of your pics?! anyone else?
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
SCHÜSS

Post by SCHÜSS »

i posted them with freeimaginghosting.net and it was working fine a wile ago. They much be down atm i will wait a bit longer and see if they fix themselves up

sorry guys

schuss
SCHÜSS 2011
SCHÜSS

Post by SCHÜSS »

ok on my end it looks like the pics are working again! some comments would be lovely!

cheers and sorry bout the unfortunate pic crash

schuss
SCHÜSS 2011
endre

Post by endre »

Very nice looking skis, great that someone do other stuff than just freeride skis in here. Interesting back tip there, looks kind of "cut of". Sucks for switch skiing i guess, ;) any thaughts?
SCHÜSS

Post by SCHÜSS »

Well a few weeks ago i tested the Gamma SL's. Simply put they are brilliant. Excelent feedback and response and the best thing about them is the grip. However you do have to eat your weaties... lol alot of em.

Since then i have skied another 9 days and often in the morning when we have to choose which pair of skis to take up, we often pick the gamma's, not for testing... but as a legitiment choice. This is, over other slalom skis.

Durability is great. no sign yet of anything going wrong at all which is good.

If you take them off the piste then you are in some serious trouble. They have practically no waist and they are as stiff as anything so you may find yourself in some tricky situations in the turning department if you head into anything DEEP and more so WET.

So here is my evaluation:

Positives include getting the grip and durability we were after. Other things include the great reponse and feedback the skis give. not to mention the convos on the lift

Improvements we will do for the next one are a sublimated topsheet, loose some layers of carbon and kevlar.

All in all very good and i am happy with myself.:)

schuss out.

have a good one
SCHÜSS 2011