Alien-X model 1949

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

RoboGeek

Alien-X model 1949

Post by RoboGeek »

And so it begins..

First here are the specs..

length: 158
nose: 130
waist: 75
tail: 100

This is based off a Metron 10-11 with a few mods to the sidecut. You'll notice its a much more gradual transition from the nose to the waist. Thats because of the rather different air core construction I'm going to attempt, once I get out of the mock up and stress testing (assuming it works). I'm going to try triangulation in the core to give as little torsional flex as possible while trying to keep a good feel to it. I'm trying to prevent a radical 'snap' to the turning by using a damper the length of the ski, and a slightly modded sidecut. End result is hopefully a bit stiffer than norm, but meaning it will hold the correct camber through a corner rather than getting all soft and bendy and digging the nose too hard - with the resulting torsional forces messing with the design.

And so.. the first pics..

And yes.. I'm going short because I really want to try shorter skis!!
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.
heliski989

Post by heliski989 »

looks good, im very intrested. keep us posted
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

wait till you see the bizarre construction method I'll be using. Its so different that I'm building a scale model to mock up and test with to see if it even works, and if it has the right qualities for a full size ski. If that fails, then I'll go back to a conventional setup. I just have too much airplane wing construction stuff running through my feeble head to not try it. Besides, half the fun of this is the experimentation!!
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

RoboGeek wrote:...Its so different that I'm building a scale model to mock up and test with to see if it even works,....
don't poke your eye out.. :D
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

Changed my design a bit, since it seems my dxf file didn't translate perfectly. The same basic Metron shape is there, but I went to a longer length and a much narrower waist. Different tip and tail but narrower there too...
Its a much smoother ski now

Next step is a mock up of the core structure. This will be fun!

1/4 scale pics with engineering tests hopefully by the weekend. Thats going to determine if I waste my time with this, or go with a standard core structure..

If it works.. I should have a profile cut by next week