chicagoskier's builds

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Chicagoskier11

chicagoskier's builds

Post by Chicagoskier11 »

I have completed two pair. The first pair is a tele pair that is all birch wood with a clear topsheet and wood sidewalls. I pressed it using bike tubes instead of firehose b/c i couldn't get any at the time. They held up really well until i landed backwards coming off a rail and edge got ripped right out. I wasn't too disappointed since they were kinda thrown together from the beginning and sufficient pressure was not reached without the firehose.
The first pair had a press frame made from tie down straps and the second pair has a steel frame which i did not get a pic of.
I built the second pair in basically two days. I wanted to get them done in time for a two week trip to Montana (big sky for 2 days then big mtn for 10) They are maple and poplar with maple sidewalls and a cherry top. I coated the topsheet in epoxy which was still sticky when i put them in the ski box for long drive from michigan. The only specs i know off-hand is that the cherry powder skis are 165 at the tip and have the sidecut of Armada AR5s. the tele skis were 171 before the tails got cut off but they still have some curve to them. The powders were 173 before the tails were cut off and now probably only 161:( I'll probably lengthen my mold this summer to make 175-177, i don't think it would be too hard.

As for performance. The first time i used the tele skis was only my 4th or 5th time telemarking so it is a little hard to judge. They felt pretty good and i drastically improved my ability over the time i used them. Definently too stiff though. The powder skis surprised me. I was able to force them to carve and they were much more managable on the groomed than i anticipated. Lots of fun in powder. The pics showing me on them do not contain the greatest or deepest snow. It snowed about everyday at big mtn so i was able to put them to the test.

Problems. For some reason not enough pressure gets to the tails. The tails come out and look like they have barely had any pressure and i had to cut them off both pair. The press is symetrical so i don't understand the problem. It may be that the ends of the mold are too high. The tips turned out fine on the first pair with half the pressure (bike tubes) but had to be bolted together on the second pair (firehose, higher pressure). Any suggestions? I pressed at 34psi with the firehose. I also did not properly work the epoxy into the glass on the first pair which is the reason the edge ripped so far off. Also, on the second pair the base shifted back so there wasn't much of a tip on one but enough to not hurt performance.

Where can i buy K2 style rivets? In my rush to get the cherry powders done i had to use nuts and bolts but they didn't end up catching on anything.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/556949747dUGrFY

there are the pics, enjoy + give me some feedback
sivart7208

Post by sivart7208 »

i went to a vintage store and bought some spikes that screw on and put 3 on the tip and 2 on the tail.. they work and look good
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

Nice. I like the short fat skis. Kind of like Icelantic skis.

One thing to watch out for in you mold, is to make sure that the hose isn't getting pinched between the mold and the frame. If it gets pinched, it can't expand and fill all the curves.

They are not exactly like k2's spikes, but pop rivets work well. The gun and rivets should be available at most hardware stores. Something like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... umber=7356

-kelvin
Chicagoskier11

Post by Chicagoskier11 »

yeah i have a rivet gun like that but decided to go with the beefer screws. I was thinking about maybe trying to put rivets through some washers to give the bond a larger surface area.

Now that i try to picture my press, pinching might be the problem. I think it would be beneficial to widen the space between the ends of the mold a tad. Thanks!