First Board!

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

bishop119

Re: First Board!

Post by bishop119 »

The Board looks sick! i also had to get creative in my last layup with my bag ripping.

What kind of rice paper did you use for your graphics? The one I used seemed to be pretty thick and left a very clear ghosting (we figured it would happen and worked with it) but i want to try to get some more clear like yours came out.
sendyND

Post by sendyND »

bishop119 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:15 am The Board looks sick! i also had to get creative in my last layup with my bag ripping.

What kind of rice paper did you use for your graphics? The one I used seemed to be pretty thick and left a very clear ghosting (we figured it would happen and worked with it) but i want to try to get some more clear like yours came out.
Thanks! I used a Loew-Cornell P-906 Rice Paper Pad. It’s definitely pretty thin but printed well taped to regular printer paper. I just bought it on amazon.
JSquare

Post by JSquare »

SleepingAwake wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:48 am I usually prepare multiple cups with resin and hardener, but just don't mix yet. then whenever you're ready you can just stir and use without getting the scale all messy...
I weigh out 5-6 solo cups (100-200g depending on the size of the board) of resin. Then I zero the scale with an empty cup, put one of those on and pour to the desired total mass and stir. This saves the confusion of "wait is this resin or hardener, or did i use this?" After emptying the cup gets flipped over on the table. Just one active cup at a time, and cups on deck are resin only. Scale gets a plastic bag condom and there's a spare scale in the storage cabinet.

Nice thread btw! I got stoked for you walking through this.
I love your rabbet jig. Just as complicated as it needs to be and no more.
sammer

Post by sammer »

JSquare wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:40 am

I weigh out 5-6 solo cups (100-200g depending on the size of the board) of resin. Then I zero the scale with an empty cup, put one of those on and pour to the desired total mass and stir. This saves the confusion of "wait is this resin or hardener, or did i use this?" After emptying the cup gets flipped over on the table. Just one active cup at a time, and cups on deck are resin only. Scale gets a plastic bag condom and there's a spare scale in the storage cabinet.
This is my method as well, Resin get measured in and stirred. Stir stick stays in cup after it's been poured out, use a new stick with every cup. No contamination or partially set-up epoxy getting mixed into the new cup.

Board looks sharp.
Routeing sidewalls is a terrifying time. Your board is pretty much finished and then 1 slip and huge chunks are missing.

Sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)