Latest Editions

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Skivolkl

Latest Editions

Post by Skivolkl »

Well here are the latest editions to my home made ski collection.

the first picture is of the two pairs of skis I made this fall. For the red pair I used a fabric graphic layer with a screen printable top sheet. It turned out pretty good except it is not quite as crisp of color as I had hoped for. I think it is due to the topsheet material. I should have used a natural clear topsheet but I had the screen printable stuff laying around and decided that I would experiment with it. For the other pair I used a veneer top with some green fabric graphics and a fiberglass topsheet. I had mixed success with these skis. I didn't use a solid pressing layer between the skis and my air bladder as a result some of the epoxy pooled on top of the skis and created some ridges. The skis are still skiable, but a stupid mistake made for a ugly topsheet.

The next picture is a view of the red base material that I used which turned out pretty good.

The next picture is a contrast view of the different sidewall materials. I think the red sidewalls look much better than the wood sidewalls. In the future I don't think I will cut corners by using wood sidewall.

The last picture is a view of a core that I am currently fastening sidewall material to. The next step is to profile the core to the proper dimensions. The core is for a powder ski that I am working on. I will post pictures as soon as I finish.

So far no skiable snow in Wisconsin. Pray for snow and cold weather so the sno guns can fire up and we can have some hills open by Thanksgiving Weekend. Or the lake effect to kick in up in the Upper Pennisula. At least our football team has been kicking *ss. GO BADGERS. On a seperate note we are definetley getting scr*wed over by the BCS Bowl system. Please forgive me of my ranting and raving.

Fresh Tracks to All.
Skivolkl

Post by Skivolkl »

Sorry for the large pictuers, I forgot to resize. You can also see that I haven't put the finishing touches on the skis (i.e final triming of the skis, basegrind, tuning edges, cleaning the sawdust of the topsheets and deburing the tipsheets) but you guys get the idea. I just got a little excited and wanted to share the pics.