The All (Now with 2018 model)

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Tobiasstaermose

The All (Now with 2018 model)

Post by Tobiasstaermose »

Hi!

In the summer of 2016 after my first two trips on ski, in the winter, i stumbled upon a video some one building skis, and I thought: I can do that to!!

So after a lot of research and lurking on this forum, e.g. reading that the "only" vac pump to get was a Thomas 2660. And how to bend edges.

I set out and build my first pair. As i'm building my second pair now i thought i get some photos up. So this is the first pair called: The All

Layup:
Base + edge
620g Triax glass
Core - Made with the best baltic birch plywood i can get. 12mm, tapered to ~2mm at the ends.
620g Triax glass
200g UD carbon stringer 50mm wide
120g "hexcell" woven glass

Cheers :)
Last edited by Tobiasstaermose on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tobiasstaermose

Here it is. Finally got the embedding working.

My girl friend thinks im a bit crazy

Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

They look pretty damn god for first try. Where are you based? How is the plywood core working?
I am nobody. Nobody's perfect, so I must be perfect.
Tobiasstaermose

I'm in Denmark (Aarhus) - One of the flattest places on earth.. the highest point in the county is 171m... So we have to go to Norway og the alps for snow..

I really like them!

Being that I have not been skiing for that long I dont have that much to compare to.

But they are by a long shot the most stable skis i have ridden, and i have never been able to go from edge to edge as with these. So i really think that the crossed layer nature of plywood (only the BEST PLYWOOD) helps a lot here :)
Tobiasstaermose

So here is the 2018 model of The All, I call it the Carbon_Light.
Same Basic shape as last year, (103mm under foot), but the composit construction is made using carbon fibre. And they are 183cm, and the 2017 model was 173cm.

Layup:
Base + edge
320g Biax Carbon
Core - Made with the best baltic birch plywood i can get. 12mm, tapered to ~2mm at the ends.
320g Biax Carbon
160g Carbon Twill

At the tip and tail i used a spacer made from the base, and one layer of 620g Triax Glass, i should have used a layer or two extra as the tip and tail are a bit flimsy :)

They ride diffrently that the 2017 model, they seem very very nice in choped snow and fresh snow, but as I have nothing but carbon in the constuction they dont have much damping, so icy moring groomers are hard...

Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

Love the highgloss finish on then , they look sweet!
I am nobody. Nobody's perfect, so I must be perfect.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Did you use the carbon only as top layer for deco?

Btw. you are a brave man to do this inside the kitchen (the first pair) and you seem to have a very tolerant girlfriend ;)
Tom
Tobiasstaermose

mammuth wrote:Did you use the carbon only as top layer for deco?

Btw. you are a brave man to do this inside the kitchen (the first pair) and you seem to have a very tolerant girlfriend ;)
Hi, no the main structure is from Bi-ax carbon fibre. This is the layup from the bottom up.

Layup:
Base + edge
320g Biax Carbon
320g Biax Carbon
160g Carbon Twill

Best regards

Tobias