Volition Skis - 2016 and beyond

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

amidnightproject

Volition Skis - 2016 and beyond

Post by amidnightproject »

Well, I haven't posted much of anything I quite awhile. I'd like to post often again and I'll try to remember to do so.

Building skis has been a damn fun way to fund the winter season (i'll be it stressful at times) but I can't seem to stop with it!

So here's the last thing I built. Finally a put together a set for myself.

I hand wove carbon tow in the tip and tails to create my own matrix. I have some pictures of it some where and I'll try to find it. My goal was to keep the tips thin and light but still retain structural integrity. It did a damn good job in my opinion. The ends are stiff, responsive and still kept the swing weight down.

The graphic I sublimated to hand cut/selected Pine veneer. I wanted to tip the hat to Maine and kept it local to the area. The ski is a maple and poplar wood blend as well. Both readily available here in great quality.

vinman

Post by vinman »

Really nice looking stuff Chris.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Great work! You posted a photo of the carbon roving on G+ before ;)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Good to see you're still building. I'll be devoting more time soon. After 6/30 I'm no longer working for "The Man". "Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty I'm free at last" - MLK

:D
amidnightproject

chrismp wrote:Great work! You posted a photo of the carbon roving on G+ before ;)
You're right! Thanks!

So here's the carbon matrix I made for the tip and tail. Thinking about the forces that get applied this is what I came up with. I have a jig I've created for doing this. The tape on the outside is just fiberglass tape and it stays outside the layup

falls

Post by falls »

What's the story with the shaping of the topsheet at one end prior to layup Chris?
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
amidnightproject

falls wrote:What's the story with the shaping of the topsheet at one end prior to layup Chris?
Hehe :oops:

You know that saying where you are supposed to double check your measurements twice?

What happened is I sublimated the topsheet way before I decided on what length ski I was going to make. I was originally going to make a 178 and ended up making a 186cm. When I was dry fitting the pieces I realized the topsheet was much shorter then I expected so instead of just having them end abruptly i cut them to shape to give it some smoother lines and expose the carbon uni a bit more.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Chris, I've thought about something similar with the tow. I've even thought of making a jig like you said and just putting a small dab of hot glue at the joints to hold it al in place so it can be placed on the layup easily.

My idea is slightly different. Basically creating a diamond shape with tow running from just infront of the contact point at the tip, running towards the mount point underfoot. this is mirrored in the tail. To me it seems like this would place the tow on the torsional axis of the ski..??

I wish I could find a light enough mesh to lay it out on and then just hot glue the carbon to the mesh, then just be able to lay the whole thing on during layup.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Vinman it sounds like you are just talking about a simple strip of uni laid in a X shape. Just lay it up by hand. Too easy.
Image[/img]
vinman

Post by vinman »

yes but with multiple carbon tow on each axis, more like what chris has done
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

These people have a tremendous amount of ultra thin meshes. If yu play ur cards right they may send you sample yardage. http://ducksan.biz/english/index.php
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
falls

Post by falls »

Someone usually has had your idea before
Vector net
https://www.fibreglassshop.co.nz/produc ... =920774421
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
sammer

Post by sammer »

I bought some vector net last year from Foam-EZ but haven't had a chance to try it yet.
It was pricey and shipping doubled it.
Bought the 1/2".
http://www.foamez.com/vector-net-xp-227 ... p-959.html
It's not CF, it's Techora aramid, but it looks pretty cool.
Plan was to build 2 identical pair of skis, 'cept put it under top sheet of one pair.
Gotta get my floor coated in the shop before I move all the crap in there.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

sammer wrote: Gotta get my floor coated in the shop before I move all the crap in there.
Epoxy? Best thing I ever did in my shop.
barnboy

Post by barnboy »

I've used the vector net in the past, and will in future builds as well. This version claimed to be CF, it sure seemed like it in my hand. I bought mine through these guys, US eastcoast: http://greenlightsurfsupply.com/product ... 1052039071

I used it as a wrap around some foam cores I built a few years ago. I typically lay tow in a varying "X" pattern depending on the end user/design, but this stuff was pretty cool, far easier to handle than loose tow, and not too bad $.