New project on the way

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

brazgotine

New project on the way

Post by brazgotine »

Greetings from Slovenia,I have started a new project :) I think the pictures will tell all.

[/img]
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

Nice! I really need to paint mine and make it fancy.

I've used a bit of those blue air lines, with the quick connects. I cant remember the company, Rapidair?

Anyway, I've had them up over 100psi, and they hold steady.

I worry about how your I-beams are attached, and the potential for column buckling. Anybody else agree/disagree?
Doug
brazgotine

You

Post by brazgotine »

Thank you for reply. The I-beams are so massive and big that they can not deflect. The press weight more than 800 kg (1700 pounds).

Greetings.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

knightsofnii wrote:Nice! I really need to paint mine and make it fancy.

me too lol never got around to paint my press
I worry about how your I-beams are attached, and the potential for column buckling. Anybody else agree/disagree?
I have very similar design. put together little differently however work fine.
personally I would put C- channel differently

what I don't like is how casters support made.

Also I hope you using properly rated casters
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
chrislandy

Re: You

Post by chrislandy »

brazgotine wrote:Thank you for reply. The I-beams are so massive and big that they can not deflect. The press weight more than 800 kg (1700 pounds).

Greetings.
Deflection and buckling are two very different things.

I think knightsofnii is meaning local buckling of the C-section column webs at the points where you have welded them to the cross member I-beam.

You are putting a moment directly into the web at this location where the web is quite thin so you will likely get some form of elastic failure around this area (causing permanent deformation at the web to beam interface) Taken to the extreme this would cause local plastic buckling failure and eventually localised shear of the web

Caster rating aside, you are also introducing bending to the posts with the eccentric mounting of the casters
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

You'll be fine mate. Nice press, very tidy work.
The deflection load on your beams (the biggest load) is actually working on your c channels in their strongest direction.
Your casters are only ever going to have the weight of your press and layup on them, no more, no less.

Only thing I would do is make a join across your beams so they act as a single unit, but that's just me being over cautious.