Through the thorns to the stars

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

motoman

Post by motoman »

Akiwi wrote:Oh dear, that epoxy looks a mess.
Your cores look they coulaso do with a little more cleaning up. I think maybe your router bridge is perhaps too flexible, so if you push down it cuts deeper.

The home made inserts look respectable.. but did you weld the nuts onto the plate?? How did you attach them.
Hopefully not with a bit of double sided sticky tape ;-)

Good luck, and keep it up.
There are no problems with our router since our first core is almost flat.
We did mistake with depth of cutting. Anyway those snowboards are trial an newer be used.
As for inserts, we used industrial glue. Also we will newer use them again.
motoman

Post by motoman »

mammuth wrote:Looks like its cut out of these:
http://www.beetleconnection.de/product_ ... r-neu.html
No, we just bought stainless still nuts and glued them to small plates of same stainless still.
But that variant is also good.
motoman

Post by motoman »

The next thing that we decided to build is heating device for our press.
Heaving read a few topics related to the construction of heat blankest and controllers we have constructed our own.
Also we made controller. It was the most difficult part, but we did it.
It doesn't have box now. We decide to make the box made of plexiglas.
One blanket has approximately 1500 watts.
Two have 3000 respectively.
When we turned them on first time there was strange smell. I guess it was silicon. I strongly believe that it must be so. Also they heat up pretty fast.
We have not tested them with press yet...
Probably we will burn something for the first time...
Also we don't know on which stage we have to put cassette inside the press, when blankets are on and have already reached necessary temperature or turn them on after the cassette is inside the press.

Everybody says that the best aluminium for cassette and protection of heat blankets is 5052, but we use 1050 A H24. Does it make sens? We don't have 5052 in stock((
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Unless you are welding it or doing some severe bending, then the grade of aluminum won't make a huge difference. Try the stuff you have and I'm sure you will be fine, it's just to give a nice flat surface either side of your board, and aluminum is a great conductor so the heat transfers pretty well, so you should be fine.
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

WOW.. I am quite impressed.
Where did you find the instructions on how to build it?

OK Ignore that quesion.. Google is my friend!
http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2690
Last edited by Akiwi on Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
I am nobody. Nobody's perfect, so I must be perfect.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

The heat blanket thread is here: http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2690

But save yourself the trouble and buy one from china...almost as cheap as building yourself and trouble free: http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4802[/url]
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

chrismp wrote:The heat blanket thread is here: http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2690

But save yourself the trouble and buy one from china...almost as cheap as building yourself and trouble free: http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4802[/url]
Thanks. I think you beat me but I didn't see your message till I saved my edit with the link
I am nobody. Nobody's perfect, so I must be perfect.
motoman

Post by motoman »

chrismp wrote: But save yourself the trouble and buy one from china...almost as cheap as building yourself and trouble free:
The price for one blanket add up to 20$ for us))
Controllers 60$.
Also it is not that complicated. The only tricky thing concerns to electronics.
But..., yes it is easier to buy new one and relieve yourself of the difficulties.

Buy the buy, thank you very much for fruitful topic. You did breakthrough for us.
motoman

Post by motoman »

gav wa wrote:Unless you are welding it or doing some severe bending, then the grade of aluminum won't make a huge difference. Try the stuff you have and I'm sure you will be fine, it's just to give a nice flat surface either side of your board, and aluminum is a great conductor so the heat transfers pretty well, so you should be fine.
Also I have one question. We never used our adjustable molding by the purpose and we experimented with only one size.
The question is next, is it possible to use same cassette for different sizes of snowboards or skies?
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Seriously, you guys need to start reading the forum more or use the search function. Most questions you ask will answer themselves when you find the right threads on here.

Of course you can use the same aluminum sheets for different sizes as long as they don't have any kinks from previous pressings.
motoman

Post by motoman »

chrismp wrote:Seriously, you guys need to start reading the forum more or use the search function.
I do use search function all the time. But sometimes it is better for me to ask a question.
Really sorry for that...
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Use the google advanced site search function. The search function for the forum is pretty weak.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

maybe just a picture but blanket looks lumpy and uneven
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

chrismp wrote:Seriously, you guys need to start reading the forum more or use the search function. Most questions you ask will answer themselves when you find the right threads on here.

Of course you can use the same aluminum sheets for different sizes as long as they don't have any kinks from previous pressings.
as long as questions like this being answered the problem will continue
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
motoman

Post by motoman »

MadRussian wrote:as long as questions like this being answered the problem will continue[/b]
Dear MR, what do you mean, by the word "problem"?
Once I asked you something, and I am very thank you for that. I really enjoy reading your topic and the way you do your job. But then you told me that my questions are stupid and I stopped asking.
Here I just post my progress as this section is intended to this and that's it.
If you don't want to answer or read my topic, please don't do it. But make me a favor, please, don't write in my topic that my questions are stupid.

Best regards

PS. As for blankets, yes, they looks like clumpy, since we bought to small amount of silicone (300-400 mg per one side) and it was hard to work with it because of silicon density. Basically, only heated side looks like this. If it will influence the flatness of base surface we will definitely make new blankets or will buy ready from china.
Here works method of errors and trials.
Last edited by motoman on Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.